Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Everyone should build an engine, right?

<< < (2/4) > >>

bogstandard:
John,

--- Quote ---as far as I can understand these engines rely on the ingested hot gases being cooled by contact with the cylinder walls to cause contraction
--- End quote ---

Actually, you normally have to get the cylinders warmed up before they will run. By flicking the engine over every few seconds, about 10 to 15 mins. I warm mine up with a blowtorch for 30 secs each cylinder, leave for 30 secs to absorb the heat and away it goes.

John

SPiN Racing:
Very very cool engine!

Or hot?

Im working towards an engine.

Once I get all my tools made.. I will prolly do a pre-cast engine.. oscilator, or coke bottle.
Then if Im really motivated.. and mentally ready.. I MIGHT try a flame eater..  They are seriously neat.

John Hill:
Bogs has been kind enough to send me some of the vital information regarding 'hot gas ingestion engines' and I feel I have a reasonable grasp on the principles now, thanks Bogs.

I dont think the Artful Bodger's workshop is really the place to produce a fine piece of miniature engineering so IF (repeat IF) I build an engine it will be a reasonable size, something that will require two hands and a bit of huffing and puffing to move around.  It might even have a lot of wood in it, then I can all it the 'Wooden Ingin', or sumfink ::)

miken:
Here are some gentlemen building some rather large engines

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons#The_Manufacturing_Process

I suspect your lathe might not be quite as big as these>

Mike

bogstandard:
John,

Seeing as how this post has been reopened, and you were on about something a little larger, Ray Hasbrook sells some very reasonably priced plans for making a few larger engines out of generally available materials.

They might be a bit more in your line.

http://hasbrouck.8m.com/index.htm

If ever I had the urge to make one, I think #10 would be at the top of the list.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version