Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Everyone should build an engine, right?

<< < (4/4)

SPiN Racing:
The pics in there are like a Where's Waldo at first!  I was looking at things going.. hmmmmm neat.. wonder what these are..... then I saw some tiny little man next to one of the parts and had to go back and look closer at them!!!

I have never in my life even concieved of an engine as large as those.

I have been on ships.. WWII ships and things.. but none of them had engines I percieved to be that big.  I coulda been a dumb kid and not grasped it... But man oh man that is a BIG engine.. and crank.

The tooling... is astoundingly large...

bogstandard:
Spin,

This is the largest one, at this time.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

A little large to fit in your Mazda.

John

SPiN Racing:
5 MILLION FtLBs of torque....  Thats just crazy!!!!  :lol:

Although looking at the engine it appears to have been well thought out. Exceeding 50 percent BSFC is pretty damn good.

Amazingly huge engine. I am going to have to make a side trip to a big port one of these days when Im in the vicinity of one. Port of Tampa I dont think is big enough... Miami, or Cape Canaveral possibly. Jacksonville possibly.

DavesWimshurst:
Perhaps a smaller engine,
This is the thimble engine designed by J Senft.  I couldn't find a suitable thimble so spun one in copper.  The bore and stroke are each 1/16 inch.  The piston is brass as I had trouble drilling a 0.020 inch hole for the crank pin in the specified stainless steel.

The vibration causes it to turn on it's stand, otherwise it's hard to see that it's running.
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version