Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Heavy Duty Trolley for the Lister CS 6/1 Engine

(1/3) > >>

Darren:
Decided to put this in a separate thread as the engine one is getting longer by the second !!

As you can imagine the Lister engine and generator is a heavy beast. Moving it about when it's separated is a major task on it's own. But together as one unit it would present some real problems.

So whilst at a recent Farmers Auction I spotted these wheels with axles. Nice heavy duty cast iron jobbies with bearings in the wheel hubs.
Bidding finalised at a lowly £16...lovely... :thumbup:
One of the wheels was seized solid, I mean really solid. The others where quite free.

So tonight I decided to take the offending wheel off for a closer look at what could be done.

The wheel nuts are locked in place with this off center screw, had a bit of a job to realize this under all the muck !!

Bearing was driven out with a socket from behind.

This bearing was shot, it looked totally rusted up solid. But what the heck, wouldn't hurt to WD and bash it about a bit would it?
After all, this wasn't a precision application by any means, we just want it to move.
Low and behold I got it to move. Just a tiny amount, but movement non-the-less. A little while latter with lots of rocking backwards and forwards and I had it turning. Although it was somewhat notchy. Thinking a good spin would be in order I came up with this idea. I wanted to spin it, but at the same time if it jammed I wanted to keep my fingers.
I rather like them just the way they are !!!

Anyways, the idea was this, metal on metal starting with low pressure meant little friction and lots of slip if it jammed. Increase pressure and speed as things improved.

Well it worked, it did jam two or three times and there was no drama !! In a short space of time I had the bearing spinning like it was new !! Real smooth.
Back in the wheel and on the axle the whell spins nicely and even rocks backwards and forwards as the wheel is unbalanced.

Right then, now a disclaimer.
The H&S guys would have a fit seeing anyone do this. So please don't be silly enough to copy me and hold the bearing with something other than your hand  :thumbup:

rleete:
By a strange coincidence, I had to do the same thing about a week ago.  Bearing a little smaller, but just as gunked up.  Damned if I was gonna spend the time or money for a new one, too.  By another strange coincidence, it was for a hand cart, like you use to move appliances.

I did it sort of opposite to what you did.  Jammed a wooden dowel in the I.D., and chucked it up in the hand drill.  First I soaked it with PB Blaster, and let it sit an hour, then, spun it with the drill, and grabbed it with my leather gardening glove.  Thump it on the ground, spray it some more, and repeat.  Cleaned up nicely.

So, how much weight can those things handle?  Looks like it could support a full size mill.

Darren:

--- Quote from: rleete on February 19, 2009, 04:05:55 PM --- Damned if I was gonna spend the time or money for a new one, too. 

So, how much weight can those things handle?  Looks like it could support a full size mill.

--- End quote ---

You calling me a tight arse !!
How very perceptive of you  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Due to the area I live, being heavy slate mining country the trolley is without a doubt for moving slate around. I guess it would have handled a least a couple of tons probably more.
To give some perspective, the wheels are 8" dia and 2" wide. The axles are 1.25".

rleete:

--- Quote from: Darren on February 19, 2009, 04:39:21 PM ---You calling me a tight arse !!
--- End quote ---

Any ID-10-t can go out and buy a new one.   It takes talent (and a slightly perverse stubborness) to refurb something.

Oh, okay.  I'm a tight arse, too.

Darren:

--- Quote from: rleete on February 19, 2009, 04:45:14 PM ---
perverse stubborness

--- End quote ---

Now where have I heard that one before  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version