Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Router speeds and belt drive questions..

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bernd:
John,

The slowest that router would run was over 1000rpm, still to fast. At that speed I don't think any kind of lubricant would stay on the cutter.

I wanted to but never tried a single flute cutter. Don't if one is available commercialy. That might have worked. I think the aluminum is just to gummy to try with a router, plus using it like you want makes for not so rigid setup.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket on this. It's just I tried using a router to route out a large, 14" (355mm) dia. hole in 1/4" (6.35mm) aluminum plate. Wasn't very sucessful.

Bernd

bogstandard:
Bernd,

Don't you mean 10,000 RPM. I regularly use 2,000 on my mill to run small cutters in ali, with a bit of WD40 as lube.

The WD isn't there as a main lube, but to stop the ali chips bonding to the cutter faces.

Above about 4,000 RPM I would suspect you would start to have trouble clearing the swarf away and keeping the tool cool. You could try a high pressure jet of air like the CNC lads do.

John

John Hill:
Yes Stew,  WD-40 is useful  but it seems I have to almost flood the work to stop gumming with the high speed router I have been using. 

I am hoping getting variable speed will lead to the answer and I have stepped pulleys in mind, but the question is can I use a belt drive for really high speed work? 

Hmmmm, an air jet should be easy enough! :coffee:

bogstandard:
Just to answer your question John.

Yes you can use belts at high speed. PCB drilling machines can run at over 80K, most run at around 50K, and they are belt driven. Nothing spectacular, just mini V pullies with either a fabric reinforced belt or Redthane. I used to replace the belts with 1/4" Redthane, and as long as you can get a good heat join, they work great.

You would need to make sure the belt is fully enclosed for safety reasons, if a belt was to go at that sort of speed, it would be like a shotgun going off.

The bearings for the spindle would be your main problem at these speeds. Standard bearings normally only go up to 30 to 40K RPM.

John

Bernd:
Your right John, 10,000RPM.

I thought that didn't look right. :doh:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version