Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Router speeds and belt drive questions..

<< < (3/3)

John Hill:
Thanks John,  whats Redthane?  Is that like 'O' ring stuff?

Most of the bearings in my boxes are salvaged from really old computer tape drives so I cant imagine they were designed for high speed though they would have been the best available at the time (early '70s').

bogstandard:
John,

Bearings are very cheap nowadays, it might pay you to invest in a pair for the job in hand.

http://www.poly-products.co.uk/beltext.htm

In the UK, most engineering suppliers stock it in all different sizes. You can get it as a solid belt, that you join by melting the ends and sticking together quickly. Full strength bond almost as soon as it is cool to the touch. For the tubing you can get little adaptors that stick in either end of the belt and gives a very good joint (this system was once retailed as emergency fan belts for cars), but I just join it by the heat method. I always have some in my shop just in case a belt breaks at an inopportune time. One of the main advantages is that you don't need to slacken the motor off to change the belt to a different position, you just stretch it and move it over. It is great if you have a belt driven lathe, where you would normally have to take out the spindle to change the belt. Just feed it thru and melt the ends, job done.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version