Author Topic: Anybody have an MT3 reamer I could borrow?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline loply

Anybody have an MT3 reamer I could borrow?
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
Hi folks!

Don't suppose anybody in the northern parts has an MT3 reamer I could borrow, in exchange for a copious quantity of your favorite booze?

I posted a thread over on http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/56201-Is-my-lathe-broken about my Viceroy lathe, I think it's okay but it does need the spindle taper redone, as it appears to be a cross between a hexagon and a boomerang, with a scoliosis.

Cheers,
Rich

Offline SemiSkilled

Re: Anybody have an MT3 reamer I could borrow?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Hi I just speed read the thread you linked to,

The bore of the headstock is usually hardened so a reamer won't cut this it'll just pick off  any old swarf smeared and compacted in the bore.

A center in the head stock is usually soft so you can machine a new 60º taper each time you need a head stock taper so unless you want to drill from the headstock or something like that then I wouldn't worry about the taper, the other option is to get a 3 jaw chuck, a 4" x 1" piece of bright mild steel and chuck this up, turn a taper on this and use a dog on one of the jaws

I once had a drilling machine with a dodgy taper got a 2 morse reamer went to clean it out and the bore behind the taper wasn't big enough to let the reamer through!
You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline melv

Re: Anybody have an MT3 reamer I could borrow?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
I have just watched your video. Have you measured the width of the backing plate at various positions?
This could indicate whether the previous owner faced it in order to make it run a little truer.
(although it could have been faced both sides)
If you tighten every thing up, and clock up a morse taper using your compound slide,
re-boring the spindle should be do-able, A reamer would probably not be the best option anyway
as it may clean-up the high spots but be pulled out of alignment by the existing run-out.
Re-bore and then ream,if the spindle is not too hard, would be a dream solution.
good luck.
Melv.
If it was easy, everone would be doing it!