Author Topic: Height Gauges - Where do all the scribers & clamps go???  (Read 6996 times)

Offline Pete W.

Height Gauges - Where do all the scribers & clamps go???
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
Hi there, all,

Some time ago I bought a rather nice Rabone Chesterman height gauge.  It had no scriber or clamp but I thought I'd easily be able to find those eventually (it was an opportunistic buy, I didn't need to use it in a hurry).

Change from past tense to present - it still has no scriber or clamp!

None of the sources I've tried have second-hand scribers or clamps and the new tool dealers are asking megabucks.

But my fundamental question is 'where do all the scribers and clamps go?', is there some workshop-dwelling alien that eats them?

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Baldrocker

Re: Height Gauges - Where do all the scribers & clamps go???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
Scri-clampicus not to be confused with that other workshop denizen spannersaurus
or subspecies wherethehellitgoium. That last is a distant cousin to Wherethehellthatcomefromodon.

Paul

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »
Hi,
Shars (discount machine tools) from the US have 2 styles of them. I need one as well and am going to buy one from there.
They have the the dimensions in there ebay ad's and will ship worldwide for not much.

As for the clamp you will have to make that.

Dave

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »
I was going through my ebay and remembered this thread, so here are the links.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270372377683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330378928737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They do combine shipping and will use flat rate boxes if you see anything else you want.

Dave

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
Pete ..

What bore size / type of clamp ??

Somewhere in my s-h-1-t pile heap of bits, I think I have some.

Presume you mean the ' spring loaded sleeve with a hole on bored wotsit that tightens up with a thumbscrew' type ??

Give me a clue what to look for  and I'll have a shufti ..

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:52:55 AM »
Hi there, Dave and Bluechip,

Thank you for your replies, I'm sorry to take so long to acknowledge them but I 'lost' this thread!

Dave, thank you for the pointers to scribers but they are the wrong size - the Rabone Chesterman height gauge takes a scriber that's 0.250" wide, mounting to a stub 0.600" high.  The scribers in your link are all too wide.

Bluechip, what you're offering sounds like parts for what I'd describe as a scribing block or alternatively for a DTI ('clock') stand.  The instrument that I'm working on is a vernier height gauge, see http://what-when-how.com/metrology/vernier-height-gauge-metrology/ .

But thanks again to both of you.

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
None of the sources I've tried have second-hand scribers or clamps and the new tool dealers are asking megabucks.

Oh my, you are right about the prices, all I could find were more than 40 USD/GPB and not sure about size.

Do you need original or will anything that works will do? Does it need to be kinked?

If straight will do the trick, how about HSS tool blank, something like:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/High-Speed-Steel-Toolbits/HSS-Toolbits---Rectangular-Section/HSS-Tool-Bit-Rectangular-14x12x4

That (HSS Tool Bit Rectangular 1/4"x1/2"x4") is only 1/2" high, but width is right and theese are groung all over, very little preparation needed. I suppose rectangular ones are very rectangular?

Some older "square" are actually slightly parallelogram and very nice for lathe, just a little honing and they are turning tools right from the box. New "sqare" chinese/indians are sqare....and need more grinding to put good use.

Pekka