Author Topic: Conversion of a mini import step pulley drive lathe to a variable speed motor?  (Read 9056 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Ok I have a chi com import mini wood lathe, with the step pulley speed changing. I would like to change this to a DC variable speed control motor. Possibly like a tread mill motor speed control set up. One of the pen making supply companies sell a unit that is suppose to swap out. When I have brought this up on other forums, a number of members get the Chi com heebee-jeebees, the conciseness is that the unit isn't any good. Only one person claims to have had the unit!

I have been told what motor and controller to get only, for the cost I can get a brand name lathe already set up with vari-speed motor!

Anybody have done this or have any experience with the tread mill motors and controllers.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline RotarySMP

I did something similar with a 3 phase motor, and the used VFD from Ebay.

It is easy enough to do. Go for it.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline 75Plus

Glen,

Check this out. http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hab/3314187911.html

Looks to be exactly what you need. Motor and controller (plus some extraneous parts!) for $50 and in your area.

Joe

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Glen, I have connected a 2.5 hp treadmill controller to my X2 mill. I have gotten several treadmills frre from local freecycle groups. The most common controller I have is the venerable MC-60. It comes on a al hratsink and only requires a on/off switch, 5kΩ pot for speed control, DPDT 3A switch for reverse, and wire and spade terminals to connect.
I have no problems with it. Even used the origional flywheel to make a pulley for it. Should be doable for your lathe.
Contact me via pm or e-mail if you have questions.

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
I fitted a treadmill motor to my old mill, Glen, and used a KB electonics speed controller:
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,2693
I had no need for reverse, and I don't suppose you would need it on a wood lathe. If you do, a bit of interlocking between the stop/go switch and the fwd/rev switch might be needed, because it's easiest to put the stop/go switch on the AC input side, and fwd/rev has to go in the DC output.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
I am a real fan of the VFD (variable frequency drive) route of speed control.  99.9% of the people will not maintenance a DC motor correctly, if at all.  Leading to motor or control failure.  3 phase induction run motors used as most of us will are life time maintenance free.  Don't try and lube them, you don't know how, again the 99.9% factor.

The vfd offers speed control yes, but also offers so many more things in the same package.  Voltage spike/dip protection, phase failure protection, easy direction changing, ramp up/down to speed, preset speeds, low rpm torque control, skip frequency for vibration problems, 1 phase to 3 phase conversion without open phase operation such as phase converters, overload protection, low frequency protection (cooling problems), braking solutions and stuff way over my head.  Motor amperage or rpm or signal input/output is usually a display on the front of the unit.

There are a few do's and don'ts as with all things and they must be sized properly.  Also the demand for constant or variable torque application is important so just any one off ebay may not necessarily work.  Coming from the electrical field I have installed litterly hundreds of them from quite a few brands and have my likes and dislikes from experience.  We seem to have quite a few knifemakers in this area and these drives are real popular on their belt grinders and they need to reverse them for some polishing step they do.  They are generally all pretty much bullet proof for installation from dumb electricians so just be sure to obtain a good current instruction manual as they all program differently.  They usually program in block fashion so even a machinist can do it!!!!!!!! Little try at creative humor.

I love piddling with them so if I could be of help, I would be glad to try.  If you wish PM me and I will give you a list of what to look for so your first experience is a happy one.
Russ

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
I converted my Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe with a Teco FM50 VFD and Leeson 220v motor.
Being able to vary the speed as I'm turning is wonderful!
A bit of chatter? Just change the speed until it stops.
There is an excellent "build log" on the Yahoo 10x22 forum. The consensus there (and I know virtually nothing about this. The electrical experts here can comment) is that the treadmill motors have low torque at low speed.
Highly recommended conversion
Best,
Stan