Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How do I machine a square hole?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mogas:
Thanks Bernd, point taken. I will go on but the offer still stands to withdraw this topic should anyone not be happy with the circumstances by which it came about.
BTW this started out as my hobby and has grown into a small business (hardly production line stuff) which I am very proud of.
The spindle shaft that the square hole goes into is turned from mild steel. The pin should preferably be square as I need as much bearing surface as possible on the brass cam as well as the half circle in the rudder horn where it engages to lock the rudder horn movement to that of the spindle.
Bogstandard's suggestion about stabilizing pins has some merit and got me thinking about a variation on that. The engineering is getting very small for me (must still be huge for some of the modelers!) so I think I will work on a plan to have a round pin with a nose shaped like John drew but have some sort of stabilizing groove down one side and perhaps a pin or grub screw engaging the slot.
Mogas

Mogas:
Oh yes Stew, I did try the heavy handed route but it did not work despite the various relief angles I used. It simply went cockeyed and ended up a mess.

sbwhart:
Hi Mogas

Good try you never know until you've had a go  :headbang:

The only other thing I can suggest is doing it in stages.

If its not a blind hole you could do it with a broach. I've got some at home but as I'm not at home at the moment I can't post some photos, if you're not familiar with broaches you could try Google search.

Good Luck

:wave:

Stew

bogstandard:
Mogas,

Don't get alarmed at my statement. It has to go in.

On other sites I have belonged to, some people were trying it on to get things developed free of charge.

Eventually when we asked them for a share in their royalties, they disappeared in a cloud of dust.

Your reply was what we were after, it shows you are genuine and not after making a quick buck at our expense.

The ones I was on about could most probably be linked into the multi million bracket.

Last year, I was even approached personally by a US government department to do some development work, but because I didn't have my workshop up and running, I couldn't help. But it was passed over to someone else in the know, and hopefully they got the help that was required.

So at times, some of the help that is requested can get a bit wierd.

You will find all sorts of solutions to problems. The best way is to pick the meat from each one and see if it does the job. Mine was just a fifteen minute think about, maybe not ideal, as I don't know the exact circumstances, but if it gives you an idea of how to carry on, great.

John

Mogas:
Thank you Sir. I am now firmly repositioned in my comfort zone!
Stew, I had a quick look for a broache and after wading through some ladies stuff I saw what you were referring to. If I persevere with the square through hole this could well work. I will persue this once back in SA.
My day job as a flight engineer has me away from my machines more than I like. I am sitting in Lagos Nigeria, yesterday it was Luxembourg. The temperature difference has been about 35 degrees C!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version