Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How do I machine a square hole?

<< < (5/5)

Kludge:
I've been sitting here watching this thread trying to remember the tailwheel assembly on one of the airplanes I flew.  I don't remember all the details but the wheel assembly was attached to the fuselage via two coil springs (one on each side) that helped keep it close to centered on TO and landing.  OTOH, if one wanted to turn while taxiing, it would break away with a ball detent (I think) that was tapered to each side of center and held centered via a spring and the aircraft's weight.  Once it was out of the detent, it could swivel 360o and still drop back into the detent.  I'd like to say this was on an SNJ but I'm definitely not going to swear to it.  I do remember it was non-steerable and there was no lock in the cockpit. 

I do remember my first flight in the beast when I pushed the rudder pedal while taxiing expecting the airplane to turn and the instructor yelling, "Brakes!  Brakes!  BRAKES!" before I remembered that the tailwheel was independent of the rudder.  Ah, the fun of round engines and tail draggers. :)

BEst regards,

Kludge

Mogas:
Thank you for all the replies, here are 2 pictures of the wheel normal position and castering back 180 degrees.
Most have been helpfull and given me some ideas, some I have tried before and a couple I am fairly sure won't work. If you can spare the time, I would like to hear more of your idea JS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version