Author Topic: Another machine maybe  (Read 3468 times)

Offline pjf134

Another machine maybe
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:24:23 PM »
 Today I got a call from a friend and he wanted to know if I had room in my shop for another machine. He works at a school that has a nice machine shop. Last year he gave me a brand new lathe and a slightly used mill, both CNC and even the computer. Along with that was boxes filled with extras like rotary table, end mills and other extras that were never opened. Even though the machines were Sherline I did get some use from them. I have a South Bend 9A lathe that I redid awhile back and used the Sherlines when ever I could. The new machine is either a mill or lathe that is enclosed and CNC and that is the only thing he could tell me and it is about 3 feet sq. If it needs work it still would be a good tool for free. I hope it's a bigger mill than the one I have, and hope to find out what it is soon and see if he can get it. It's nice to have good friends.
Paul
To error is human, but doing it a second time takes a better excuse!

Offline steamboatmodel

Re: Another machine maybe
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
Good to see someones School taxes are being put to good use. When I tried buying Machine Shop equipment from out local school board They would not sell to the general public the equipment (including five new myford lathes ) was cut up and sold as scrap. The equipment was being replaced by Lego sets to demonstrate technology as lathes and mills were considered to dangerous for the students to use.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline pjf134

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »
Gerald,
 I was amazed that a school had a machine shop. A machinist friend of mine works at a large machine shop and they scrap good stuff instead of selling or donate it even if you work there. I guess they are afraid of the competition getting stuff for a cheap price. Schools around here got rid of machine shops because of insurance rates, but still keep sports which can cause injury more than a machine. With the CNC machines of today they are safe to use and maybe schools will have more machine shops classes because of it.
Paul

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
It may be that they have "product liability" worries that stop 'em selling working machines as working machines - other than private individual sellers (for whom the old "caveat emptor" rule still applies, thank heavens!), any business or school is legally liable for injuries caused by equipment they sell on, and it gets easier to prove negligence every day (maybe it's time we shot the lawyers...) - in the UK a company or school will often have to sell their old equipment as scrap to avoid liability, often removing the mains cord with a pair of shears will be enough to render it "safe scrap" instead of a "dangerous machine"!

Unfortunately, government departments have been closing down engineering facilities ever since Maggie decided it would be more cost-effective to give their functions to profit-making private contractors rather than public services... As a result places like t he Royal Aircraft Establishment were cleared by demolition contractors, all the tools (*nice* lathes, DS&G, Holbrook etc., mills, you name it) going in a skip as waste for landfill or melting down as it wasn't "cost effective" to take them out, store them and auction them for perhaps five times the scrap value...

Oh, nice score on the new machine - if only I had friends in such places!

Apologies for the rant...
Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline pjf134

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »
 I got some more info today and a pic, but the glass on the front of the machine got some reflection on it, but it looks likes a lathe. He did not get it yet, but is pretty sure he can get it. It's a Prolight turning center.
Paul

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
It looks like the CNC lathe which Ibuildstuff4u recently bought: http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7545.msg81248.html#msg81248

I wish I got invited to cart stuff like that away!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short