Home Base > Introductions

You can blame John a.k.a bogstandard for me being here!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Divided he ad:

--- Quote ---Oh, one other rule all   :offtopic: subjects are to go HERE Which is manditory reading.   :lol:
--- End quote ---

Now that's really funny  :lol:

--- Quote ---I can see now I have a challenge to post a picture of something impressive.
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't go that far.... :bugeye:    This is a family forum!!.... A picture of something you made will do John   :thumbup:   :) 

Sorry..... Couldn't help myself   :ddb: 

Ralph.

John Hill:
Good one Ralph. :lol:

Actually, I did make something else.  The first cutting tools I got (which were fashioned from drop forged Plasticene) were rather small for the tool holder and I hated the idea of always shimming them up so I bought a 16mm tool holder.  Well the lathe specs did say 16mm didnt they?  Huh, as you all know that put the indexable cutting chip too high, by about 2.6mm.

So the first thing I made was a fly cutter to trim that tool holder, worked like a charm, too good in fact so I still need to use a shim, but only one! ::)

The second thing I bought was a parting tool which I confidently put in the tool holder expecting to trim that one too.  The fly cutter would not look at it so out came the trusty angle grinder.

Actually, I did take a little care, I put a stop on a 3mm drill bit and drilled a number of precise depth 2.5mm 'divots' all over the surface to be removed then went over it with the angle grinder being careful to leave just a trace of each divot.  Much to my suprise a file made a moderately easy task of finishing off as I fine tuned it until the cutting tip was exactly centre.  I can chop through anything now.

bogstandard:
Welcome John,

Nice to have found you made your way over, and you are murdering metal with a passion.

The lads on here will run your a**e ragged if you don't tell and show them everything you get up to.

We get things done in a very light hearted way on here, so mistakes mean absolutely nothing.

You can have 100 failures and only one success, but you will still get praise for it, because you are trying.

It isn't all engineering on here, there are all sorts of projects going on. If you can help or encourage on any of them, it will be appreciated by everyone involved.

John :wave:

Brass_Machine:
Welcome to the site John! Welcome to the collective  :borg: (Ha! 2 posts from Ralph and he missed it!)

We are an easy going bunch, like to give each other a hard time as well. Can't wait to see what you have in mind.

Eric

SPiN Racing:
Welcome to the forum!!!

Cant wait to see the things cooked up and or hear more ideas on how to do the "simple" things!

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version