Author Topic: Problems with my WM18  (Read 13672 times)

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
Problems with my WM18
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:51:30 AM »
Hi all modders,

I need to ask a silly question or two.

Checking the machining I have done to my lathe´s head I found it to be out of square by 0.1mm.   :bang:
Investigation revealed the cross slide on the mill to be taper by 0.1mm and even the flatness of the top of the table is between 0.02 to 0.08mm.  (overall accuracy tested seems to be 0.05mm)  After a lot of phone calls and emails to the supplier the mill went back and they just informed me that it can not be fixed nor will a new mill be any better and they are willing to refund me. :bang: :bang: :bang:
I was trained in a toolmaking shop where normal precision was 0.01mm or better.
So in short, what precision can I expect from a mill or lathe and what pricision do one need for building model steam engines and trains?
I had planned to use the mill for making parts to convert it to CNC and to rebuild my CNC router (to increase precision) but am not sure if this will be possible.

Regards
Abraham

Offline John Rudd

Re: Problems with my WM18
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »
Potentially,

You could approach another supplier and ask if they provide an accuracy report with their machinery....

That way you would have some assurance that you are buying a 'quality' machine....

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
Potentially,

You could approach another supplier and ask if they provide an accuracy report with their machinery....

That way you would have some assurance that you are buying a 'quality' machine....

John,

Sadly, an accuracy report is no guarantee.  :(

Years ago I bought a new Hobbymat lathe which came with an "accuracy certificate".

The certificate wasn't just a printed document and the so called results were ficticious. I think they paid someone (probably very little) to put random numbers in boxes (somewhere within the specified limits) because the numbers bore no resemblance to what I measured on the machine. I complained to CZ who then imported the lathes and they swapped the lathe out at my home with one they'd checked themselves.

I have seen certificates more recently for Far Eastern machinery that are wholly printed - no evidence that any effort has been made to measure and record anything!

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
Have to agree with Phil.  The certificate that came with the mill appears to be filled out by hand but does not relate to my machine in any way.  According to same the allowable flatness of the table is 0.08mm witch to me, for a surface ground surface does not make sense.

Cheers
Abraham

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
Maybe I'm too trusting when it comes to it..... :coffee:

I guess its a case of pay your money and take your choice?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
My mill came from the same firm and it was a photo copy I spoke to another member and low and behold his was the same so they are a joke.!
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
Hi all,

Have been searching the web to find tolerance specs for machines to no avail, seems even the well known industrail names do not publish these.

So to rephrase my question, am I expecting to mutch at 0.02mm or better?

Cheers
Abraham

Offline philf

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
Hi all,

Have been searching the web to find tolerance specs for machines to no avail, seems even the well known industrail names do not publish these.

So to rephrase my question, am I expecting to mutch at 0.02mm or better?

Cheers
Abraham

Abraham,

Attached is the relevant page from Schlesinger's "Testing Machine Tools".

Hope it's of use to you.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the test page, it clears up a few things.  At the moment am looking into maybe goieng for a different model.

Cheers
Abraham

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:45 AM »
Hi all,

Just had the most interesting conversations with two suppliers of chinese machine tools, they do not want to quantify the accuracy of there products to the point that it does not matter to them if they loose a sale because of this.   :(

The saga continues.

Abraham

Offline mhh

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
Some of the problems that occur with the chinese machines is that the material is never allowed to 'cure' before being 'precission' ground with the result that it warpes alot with time!

Another reason is that their grinding equipment is just as bad as the crap the grind! Could be made on a very old and worn machine.

If it was me, I would return the mill, take the money and go look for a used european. And then take your measuring equipment with you when buying it, then you can check it before paying.

Just my thoughts.

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
Hi all,

Ended up returning the mill.  Am shopping around for something desent.

Abraham

Offline Miner

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Abraham,
I must be missing something in your first post. You start out talking about some machining on your lathes head then about your mills inaccuracy. I can't quite figure out the referance to your lathe head. Not that you should have to, but if you've been trained as a commercial machinist, then regrinding and rebuilding to fit your requirements shouldn't be too tough other than the time, frustration, and extra costs.

I'd agree with most of the posters points about those accuracy certificates. However their not all bogus. My Chinese built lathe does come with one, and if anything my test results are slightly better in every case than the factory test certificate shows. Maybe from me taking longer and or using better test equipment? I don't know. But I never take any test certificates at face value. I've even checked some rather expensive Mitutoyo and Starrett measuring equipment. It always does check out, and usually at the bottom end of the allowable tollerances. But it's always worthwhile to know for sure.

Pete

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »
Hi Pete,

I was remachining the mounting surfaces of my lathes head to get it properly aligned with the bed and after maching it was worse, so started the investigation as to why as I spent a lot of time in setting up the lathe head for machining.  The biggest problem was a taper cross slide on the mill.

Cheers
Abraham

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
As far as you describe it, you are machining what is already machined. You should be, correct me if I'm wrong, removing very little metal to get 'somewhere'better.Probably the headstock of a lathe can be corrected with shimming or pushing the headstock with bolts or- in this day and age, with something like Turcite or Moglice or another accepted metal filler.
What has to be said is that 'you can't put back metal removed'

I'm not writing anything that is new, I am reminding you what is long accepted practice.

Offline loply

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
For what it's worth, you would normally scrape, not machine, a lathe headstock to bring it into alignment.

For the price you paid for the mill this is what you can expect. Have you any idea what a brand new Bridgeport or suchlike costs? They're around $16k, which probably translates to £16k. That will give you accuracy in each axis to a thou or less.

Other than that you need a big surface plate, lots of patience, and a hand scraper.

Cheers,
Rich

Offline Miner

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 04:34:51 AM »
Abraham,
Many thanks for the clarifications. Ok, now I've got a much better idea of your problems. And yes it's now hindsite that certainly doesn't help you much after the fact. But you've posted a real world prime example about exactly "WHY" it's a real good idea to fully test any new or new to you machine tool in all axis's. Since nothing in the world, and especialy machine tool related is ever perfect. If you don't test, there's really no actual way to know exactly what you have. You then obviously can't or won't be adjusting/repairing your machine, or at least compensating with your part alignments to allow correct tollerence parts to be even built.

I've always found it strangely odd that forums just like this one and about any others I know of never have any kind of permanent thread or sticky reference about how to properly check your machine tools. In one way or another, and no matter what your interests are, machining IS about accuracy and the need for it to greater or lesser amounts depending on the project. Almost without fail, it's the entry level people who seem to think the latest machine tool they just spent their hard earned Dollars, Pounds, Euros, or whatevers is going to be perfect right out of the box. Personaly I think we are as a group and as mostly hobbiests are failing badly. Forums exactly like this one and all the others should be or have a proper reference area that people can go to for education. The need for and just how to check machine tools would be just a single example of what I'm talking about.

Loply, Fergus and others were obviously correct about the scrapeing, moglice, turcite, etc. But without proper pictures and exact measurements? It's just about impossible to say what method would be the best in your situation though. If your lathe was far enough out, then machining first might? be the first step before hand scrapeing. Shimming it in, while maybe not techniquely correct can or could work. I'd bet some pretty large money I could shim that lathe in a hell of a lot closer than it sounds like the factory built it given a bit of time. That would get it at least semi useable and mostly accurate till you figure out a more permanent fix.

Pete

Offline loply

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
Just to learn to scrape and then fix the mill.

It's pretty easy though don't expect it to take just a weekend.

Again, as per my previous post, a brand new mill which is guaranteed to be accurate to the levels described above will cost well over £10k. Take for example a Denford VMC 1300, UK made (or finished)? £14k plus VAT.

And that's not a major high precision machine, it's just that it will be in-spec and probably good for 0.01mm.

You could buy a second hand one but be aware that for the price to get down to £1k or under the machine is going to be old and therefore almost certainly well worn, which means it may be just as bad as your Chinese machine.

In any case the fact is with a few hundred quids worth of scraping tools and a big bag of patience you can fix both your lathe and your mill to whatever level of accuracy you desire.

I really don't think you can expect much more for the price though.

Cheers,
Rich

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
Hi to all,

Pete,  I fully agree, we need info on at least checking/testing machines properly.  I spent a lot of time to tram the spindle parallel to the column and square to the top of the table but never thought that the cross slide could still be taper.  The other problem that this specific mill had was the table top surface, altough surface ground, was not flat, not even within the specs of the manufacturer.

The lathe head was very bad thus I started by machining first, then filed and shimed, now within 0.02mm parralel to the bed in both planes.  I hope to carry on posting on the lathe rebuild soon as I now have a different mill to do the machining.

Personaly I do not agree that we have to accept poor accuracy form cheaper machines, there comes a point at witch it is just to bad to be used for anything.  eg. flatness of bed surface 0.08mm in 300mm for a surface ground face or the cross slide with 0.13mm taper in the cross (Y) direction.  And after all I would like to make things with the machines, not spend years fixing them.

Cheers
Abraham

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 03:29:55 AM »

Personaly I do not agree that we have to accept poor accuracy form cheaper machines, there comes a point at witch it is just to bad to be used for anything.  eg. flatness of bed surface 0.08mm in 300mm for a surface ground face or the cross slide with 0.13mm taper in the cross (Y) direction.  And after all I would like to make things with the machines, not spend years fixing them.

Cheers
Abraham

I think that this deserves an answer- and at my age, it might involve rather nasty replies.
So what, no one one has killed me yet and I've got to 82 and more!

If you care to look at model making  lathes which were produced in the UK pre-war most were of far lower quality than the average machine coming out of China or Taiwan today. Milling machines did not exist for the average model maker.It was not until 'Ned' Westbury designed one and castings were sold by Woking Precision Models to be made up 'at work' on the nightshift or night schools and finished off on a somewhat ricketty old lathe that had run its guts out for munitions in six years of war.
You have had  a set of 'machined castings' for a miller- the same as Westbury. Professor Dennis Chaddock made up a Dore Westbury - on a somewhat ancient flat bed Drummond-- after he had made the first Quorn.
The foregoing is documented history. It may ruffle a few feathers but that is FACT.

As for lathes for modellers, have you ever worked a lathe which was actually made up by several manufacturers because many were-- and many were crap. The beds were milled and not slideways ground. Even at that, WE could not afford the slightly better NEW Myfords that came in at all of £25. That, in case you you are too young, represented  10 weeks work for a guy in a machine shop. I got £3.3shillings and I was 'top gun' NCO in the RAF and my 'erk' got  4 shillings a day.

This, Sir, was the real world. In the real world of today, you can read 'Screwcutting in the Lathe' and see a Myford ML7 which wasn't a complete machine. 'Cleeve'or Kenneth C Hart bough a part machine-- and made the rest of his machine and the nuts and bolts out of scrap.

Now let's move to China today. China CAN make excellent machines and Taiwan is making the machine tools  that are making Seats up North of you.  The ships that are bringing machine tools in are probably Hyundai as well.

_____________________________________________________________________-

It's getting to be a rant or whatever-- but is TRUE.

Today, you can get in on the act. You can go to China with a fistful of coins and come to the UK or anywhere else  and flog quality  machines to anyone who, just like  the olden days, can afford them.

Perhaps it is time to shut up. Truth can be painful.

Norman

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 06:56:40 AM »
There will always be people who want a Rolls Royce but only be prepared to spend Lada money , then beat the fit for purpose drum.

There is a reason a Chinese lathe cost £400 and a new Hardinge costs £80,000, no not typo.
John Stevenson

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »
Very true. You almost allways get what you pay for.

The only grief I'm having with many machines is that the tech spec is overly optimistic and many values are imaginary. Bit of a downer if pay 1000€ for a lathe looking aparatus that has been sold as having 50 mm tail stock travel and it is in reality 35 mm (when leaf has been removed from the drill, with leaf even less...) before barrel drops off the key.....I could live with it if I could just turn a replacement, but the whole tail stock barrell is so shot that quoted stroke is impossible. I own such machine, but seller brought it to my house and I measured spindle straightness with a test bar (0.01 mm and 0.03 mm at 200mm at no load), with that I forgave many obivious faults, but what about if I had to order it blind - having only tech spec / working envelope to go by and wait fingers crossed box of chocolate to arrive.

If I would buy a lada I well would expect it to have four doors if it says so on the tech speck. And I have owned a Morris Marina and driven few brit bikes who were praised in the magazines as "remarkably smooth". I have also bought a Minilor lathe that was praised on the one pretty known magazine as pretty good and usefull money, when in reality anyone else than complete novice would have pointed the obivious shortcomings.

I just hate when something is marketed as something else that it is and even so when even fundamental physical dimenssions don't mach.

So, how much one must pay upfront before can expect seller to quote reasonably honest figures on dimenssions that can be measured with steel rulers even before putting power on.

I realize that accuracy, speed and capacity to wield a drill/mill/shaft and still cut is a more of a opinion...you know wind from the back....downhill....sharp drill....flood coolant (equipment optional etc. ). Rant. Rant. Rant.

Pekka

Offline Miner

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Abraham,
I'd be a fool to disagree with either Norman's or Johns points. Both of em are far smarter and have much more experience than I do. So it's impossible to argue their facts and points of view.  But in some ways I can and do understand what your saying also. I've seen some machine tool parts and workmanship examples so bad it makes one wonder how it could be ever done by accident. The tooling was obviously so mis aligned some of it could be easily seen visually. The very minimums spent on a few simple gages would have caught those defects long before the machines or tooling got that far out of what I'd hope was originally true alignment. I once bought a Seig C-6 sized lathe that still makes my blood pressure go to dangerous levels when I think of just how poorly and inaccurate it was built.

I'd like to think I know a little bit about machine tools, how their built, used, and aligned. Exactly how some of the machined or ground in misalignments get done on some of this equipment is something I can't quite yet figure out. Yes we are buying at that cheapest price we can find, but other than the set up, random checking, and or machine tool re alignment time, it costs no more to machine and / or grind parts a lot closer than they usualy are to correct, as it does to incorrectly do it. That was my main point behind mentioning we need to educate hobbiests far better than these forums have done. In one way or another, I can usually figure out just how to accuratley test pretty well any machine tool and it's movements that I currently own. Knowing how to do so with at least some hope of compensating for t's wear or even built in factory defects isn't from what I've seen all that understood by maybe even the 50% mark on forums just like this one. That to me is a major failure by all these forums and members including myself. It's pretty hard to refuse to buy shoddy workmanship if you don't know enough to test and find out that's it's shoddy.

Unlike John, I've never been to China, they apparenly have a far different culture and outlook in regards to business practices than we do. For some of them, actualy caring about what your building, selling, or producing isn't a nessisary or even a needed requirement. But my understanding of the Chinese business methods faulty or not is a bit too long winded to deal with here. Anyone who seriously thinks all China can build is crap is totally incorrect. John I know has spent some time there and the majority of it machine tool related that I know of. China can just like any other industrialised nation build just about anything you want, and up to todays current state of the art in regards to quality, accuracy, and dependability. Engineering designs, specifications and standards are just that. They can't be somehow different just because the country of origin is different. We all know that the above costs, and quality and especialy accuracy is always going to be expensive no matter who makes it. You probably could build dirt cheap crap at very close to the same price in almost any other country you'd care to name. A business friendly country with very few enviromental, health and safety, pension plans, taxes, etc,etc,etc. are why companies move there.

My apologys for somewhat dragging your thread into off topic areas.

So were again back to your original problem. Today at the smaller machine tool equipment level, price dictates what's avalible. I have no hands on experience with the higher priced equipment or anything else other than an Atlas horizontal mill, a South Bend shaper, A 3/4 sized Taiwan built Bridgeport copy built by Bemato, An Emco, Seig, and a Weiss lathe with the same milling head as yours. But there's not a whole lot on the market anymore that's still affordable while still being at least semi decent. Emco, or at least the high priced Austrian built Emco's start out around the 13" swing lathes and are certainly high priced, Myfords way overpriced for what your buying model is gone, there's a small high priced Italian built lathe I can't recall the name of, (Cerranti ?) and maybe a few others I forgot or didn't list. So to get what you want at the accuracy level your saying you'd like, you could spend the large money and buy exactly what you need brand new, spend fairly large money and maybe a lot of time waiting for a really low use but very good shape and high quality machine to show up for sale that's somewhat local, Buy the same that's wore out and FULLY rebuild it back to at least the originall factory specifications. But we both know that will take a fair amount of cash, time and effort. You could buy the same as what you already have and rebuild it to your own personal specifications. Again cash, time and effort. One way or another, to get better than what you already have, it's going to cost more time, more money and more effort. I don't like the facts any better than you do. Sadly they are the facts today though.

And despite what some think, those higher accuracy machine tools will require higher accuracy tooling and measureing equipment.

Pete

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
Gentlemen
First I don’t think its viable in today’s world to purchase chi-com machines new. They are not accurate and the quality has a lot to be desired but that’s not my reason to buy new, why buy new when you can purchase second hand for less!!. And  I mean chi-com or western, in this forum the prices are competitive.

Five years ago I was on this “ china is crap” deal, western and European machines were the only game in town bla bla bla. But since then I have had a need to really expand my shop and I was in the market for new/ second hand machines and found out pretty quick I had to sacrifice my pride and slide over to the dark side and purchase such mentioned machinery and tooling purely on price!!!!!

I did how ever do my research, I joined a lot of Yahoo groups on machines I was interested in and paid attention to what was being said at the same time asking a lot of questions so I went into my buying spree with newly gained knowledge.

I have come to the conclusion that “for what we do” there are Chinese machines quite capable of producing quality results if tweaked and smudged into submission, but that’s what you have to do its just a fact of life but well worth the effort.

Yes I still covet Monarch’s, Bridgeport’s, Hardinge but am out of cash and I realize I will never be able to afford these beauties new, Yet on the up-side I have in my inventory Atlas, Logan, Motutoyo, Brown and Sharpe, Starrett etc. all purchased second hand and all functioning flawlessly.

Abraham take your refund and get dug in on research and find out your local Auction dealers, in today’s climate there is a plethora of surplus equipment on the market, if you take my advice you will reap fortunate rewards while gaining an addictive hobby of auctioneering.

Hope this helps   Anthony
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
The best advice comes from John Ruskin 1819-1900.
He said quite simply:-

'There is hardly anything in this world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper- and people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey'

Let me assure you that the Chinese are no different to other hard nosed business people. They have the capacity for hard work and the ablity to gamble on their own skills and knowhow.
If they fail, they rise again. If they fail they don't shout the odds about their misfortunes- they smile- and get on with it.

That philosophy is hardly exclusive or am I wrong. No doubt there will be two answers.Which one is yours?