Author Topic: Toolmakers Clamps  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Toolmakers Clamps
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
Last week I decided to tidy the workshop this usually occurs when the working space on my bench becomes smaller and smaller until I reach the stage where I can't work until I've moved something. Finished the bench top and started to rake out the floor against the wall at the back of the bench, and found my favourate toolmakers clamp which had been lost for months. Pic 1. This clamp is again a little project made at school. I have a dozen or so clamps of the Moore & Wright type but this clamp can get into places that they can't, and the clamp can be tightened with the fingers. The screws are pinned in position after the fingers holes have been threaded.
  Pic 2. Shows  standard  M&W clamp which has to be operated from both sides
         Went to a Car Boot Sale over the weekend and discovered another clamp made to a similar design, and looking as though it was made by another trainee in a totally different part of the country. This clamp which I bought had a finer thread, looks likeB.S.F. an improvement on mine. Pic 3.     David.

Offline fixit

• my first engine
Re: Toolmakers Clamps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Now thats a good way of doing it!!!! :D
northolt,near Mc donalds, next to Pc World

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »
What a great idea!  I have several sets of worthless chinese M&W clones kicking around, it'll be nice to make them into something more useful than paper weights.  Thanks for showing!   :nrocks:

Cheers

Jeff

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
That's cool. I just used my toolmaker's clamps today for the first time. Had to use all five of them at once - and to think I was going to sling them in the scrap a while ago because I got fed up with seeing them around never used.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments

Cheers David

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
I may just have to "borrow" your design.

Whenever I need a clamp, I think of making a set, but never have.  I usually end up doing something different to avoid having to use clamps.  One of these days I'll get around to it and have them when I do need them.
Creating scrap, one part at a time