Author Topic: Practical or not  (Read 9179 times)

Baldrocker

Practical or not
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
Practical or  not

Multi Purpose Washer or MulWash
Sitting watching re-runs of the New Inventors last night  when it struck me.
Why not a Dual purpose Dish/Clothes washer?
Most of us have a clothes washing machine and a dish washing machine which seems to me a prime piece of redundancy.
With the addition of a simple circular dish rack which would slide down the agitator post of  a washing machine until
it rested on the top of the paddles one would make dish washing machines redundant. Most washing machines have a multitude of
cycles so it would be simple to find one suitable for dishes.
Take the idea one step further, with a suitably designed shield between the circular dish rack and the top of the paddles one could wash
both dishes and clothes AT THE SAME TIME!
Savings of both electricity and water an time should be substantial, leading to both economical and ecological benefits to the World in general
 and households alike.
My idea at present is applicable to top loaders only but I am sure that with further R&D it could be extended to front loaders (if unsure of the
difference please refer to yours wives partners et al).
 :worthless:
Sadly I am crap at CAD or even CrapoCad so I am throwing the idea open to members, surely someone out there in Mad Modderland
could come up with some drawings. Perhaps taking an idea from that other place, a team design/build project is in order.
While I would retain control of the Copywright/Patents all profits eventuating from the idea would be donated to the furthering of
our excellent forum.

br
PS  Sorry if this seems disjointed but I felt I had to share this before some Multi National Corporation claimed the idea. My aluminium foil
      hat is still transparent to some forms of mind reading rays.  :borg:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Practical or not
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Uh, no.  You really need to learn more about the cycles each one has and why.

Dishwashers must sterilize, or at least sanitize.  Heating clothes to those temperatures would ruin most of them, and severely shorten the lifespan of the others.

And do you really want to eat off a plate washed with juniors soiled pants from before he was potty trained?
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
Baldrocker

It does sound like a good idea. I think that it would be very difficult to wash both at the same time because of the temperature differences required. I'm not sure that the appliance manufacturers would be too thrilled about it as they would only be able to sell 1 machine per household instead of 2. This is how great discoveries are made. You take a crazy idea and make it work then everybody thinks you are a genius.

Uh, no.  You really need to learn more about the cycles each one has and why.

Dishwashers must sterilize, or at least sanitize.  Heating clothes to those temperatures would ruin most of them, and severely shorten the lifespan of the others.

And do you really want to eat off a plate washed with juniors soiled pants from before he was potty trained?

rleete

No disrespect to you and this is not aimed at you.

Some people are funny. My ex (this is part of the reason that she is an ex) would not eat off of a plate if it had been set down for the dog or cat to eat off. When the dog was finished licking it was clean. Now you wash it with hot water and soap and its really clean. She would mark it to save for the dog and cat or throw it in the garbage. She would not eat off that dish ever again....if she knew it. She would have been very surprised at what went on when she wasn't home.

Imagine what she would have do if my dirty stinking socks got washed with the dinner dishes.

Cheers  :beer:

Don 
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

tumutbound

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »
As a bachelor, I love the idea!
Just have to make sure I have enough clothes and dishes to last the week and do a weekly wash. It would also solve the problem of inviting people over for dinner, just make sure they knew all about your new labour saving device before hand.  :thumbup:

[A place I rented many years ago as a young bloke came with a washing machine. It also had a chrome rack which was meant to be used to hold dishes. Not sure how the crockery would stand up to a spin cycle. I never had the nerve to try it]

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »
I am the dish washer, at this house.........

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline mhh

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:14:25 AM »

David D

Problem solved! Go wash the clothes also!  :D sorry couldnt resist!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »
Don't start me off about dishwashers.

You go to bed at night, usually with a tank full of hot water but this stupid dishwasher has to fill up with cold water and waste electric heating it up past what's in the tank ??

I thought we were supposed to be saving energy ??

Next thing is you guy these tablets and they sure are spendy, then you want rinse aid, salts and de greasing cleaners [ WTF don't the put them in the tablet ? ]

Joking apart it's getting to the stage of cheap jeans from Asda, you pay £6.00 for them, wear them for work for 3 weeks or until you can't bend over in them and burn them for free heat because it costs more to wash them by the time you recon up electric, wash powder, time etc

Take the cost of a dishwasher, running costs and then work out how many paper or cheap plastic plates you can buy for this money
John Stevenson

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »
John.......

That's why,

David D

David.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »
I made a net bag for the poat and put my dishes in that, then hang it over the side for an hour, job done. Clothes are optional on board when I am sailing and the t shirt and shorts that I wear now and then get washed by hand after a swim around the boat for soaking.  :) :)

ATB

Michael

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
Interesting idea, but I fear it is not practical for a few reasons:

1) US & UK washing machines tend to be different styles; here in the UK we prefer front-loading machines with a horizontal drum. Put your dishes in that and they'd be smashed to pieces by the end of the cycle. I'm not sure if US top-loading machines spin, or just agitate back and forth. Either way, your dishes are still in for a rough ride...

2) The washing cycle is totally different for clothes vs. dishes. Clothes are soft & tend to have dirt ingrained between the fibres, so they have to be thrashed around to knock the dirt loose. Dishes, being hard, have dirt on the surface only, so all that's needed to clean them is sufficient water flow with a strong enough detergent to get the dirt off.

The temperature thing is rubbish. My washing machine will do a 95 degree cycle, the best temperature my dishwasher can manage is 65.

IMHO, about the only common componentry between a dishwasher and a washing machine is the water heater; to make a dual-purpose device you'd basically need to swap the entire guts depending on function.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Raggle

• In Memoriam
  • Newtown, Powys, Mid-Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
I've often wondered whether a tumble drier using pulsed/phased microwaves would be practical.  The heat would be generated by the water in the clothes and resulting steam extracted by a fan.

Maybe they already exist?

Incidentally, I'm informed that dishwashers do indeed have another purpose, cooking big fish.

Ray
still turning handles  -  usually the wrong way

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »

Incidentally, I'm informed that dishwashers do indeed have another purpose, cooking big fish.

If you have one of those keyboards with removable keytops, they apparently come out of a washing machine sparkling clean - just remember to put them in a net bag, or you'll be a week fishing them out individually...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
I tit zat ant cend remeper wara zey ko   :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »
Is it worth it ??

True story,
One day I'm sat in my little office typing out helpful insults to various forums and being the founder member of the two fingered typing brigade i was looking at the keyboard and not the screen.

Looked up and no words appearing. Stabbed a few more keys, still no words ? Can't have used up a whole months worth of insults by the 11th of the month , surely ?

Then realised what had happened. Castor on the chair had caught the keyboard cable in in  fits of maniacal giggling at my replies [ yes I know, sad bastard ] it had pulled the plug off inside the keyboard.

Soooo grab a phillips screw driver, remove 137 screws from the back of the keyboard and prise the back off.
then spent 20 minutes searching for 147 keyspads and 149 springs that shot all over the place.

Finally get the plug fitted back in, all springs and keys pads returned. All screws refitted and believe it or not keyboard worked as it should.

Looked at the clock and it had taken me 45 minutes.

45 minutes to repair a stinking £4.00 keyboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I should have done was throw it straight in the skip and grab a new one out of stock but human mentality says "I'll put this to one side and put the plug on later because it's ONLY a plug "

WTF is 45 minutes no matter when you do it v a £4.00 keyboard.
John Stevenson

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
John

If it makes you feel any better, I have done similar things many times and probably will do it a few more times before I kick off. It's just wired into the brain "fix it, don't pitch it".

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
I'm afraid I'm one of those sad bastards who has to have the "exact right" keyboard.

And the "exact right" keyboard is one of these:

You can't buy them any more, but you can buy one that is "very very" similar. I bought two for $84 each, plus shipping, plus the inevitable donation to the Government, it works out at about £95/keyboard.

At 45 mins? Hmm, still cheaper to work & buy a new keyboard...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline velocette

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
Hi AdeV
I will totaly endorse your comments on IBM keyboards

"I'm afraid I'm one of those sad bastards who has to have the "exact right" keyboard.

And the "exact right" keyboard is one of these:

The Date on the bottom is 15 December 1988 Yes it will become a 'Vintage Model" at the end of 2013

How many produced today will be still in use at 23 years old and a pleasure to use.

It is a great pity that that the COPIERS of fine engineering and manufacturing cannot come close To standards of the

United States Of America

Eric

Baldrocker

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
fix it, don't pitch it
If I say "I will fix it" I will.
There is no need to remind me every six months.

Scuba1
Thats how I washed jeans when in the Merchant Navy
many moons ago, tie them to a heaving line, hang over the
stern in the wake for 10 mins, saved annoying the engine room
asking for "steam on deck"
Clothes are optional on board when I am sailing
:worthless:

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »
You would have to ensure that your load is balanced!

An unbalanced load!

This one is funnier but a bit slow to start off

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »
Thanks!

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Loved 'em, both........  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »
You would have to ensure that your load is balanced!
An unbalanced load!
This one is funnier but a bit slow to start off

Funniest of all was that when the film clips came to an end, the advertisements youtube popped-up over the final shots of desolation were for washing-machine repair companies, including one "guaranteed local repairs"!!!!  :zap:

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Good grief, kudos to whoever made that silver one, it just wouldn't give it up... Mind you, if I came home to find my washing machine in that state, having presumably wiped out most of the kitchen as well, I'd not be best pleased...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »
Funniest of all was that when the film clips came to an end, the advertisements youtube popped-up over the final shots of desolation were for washing-machine repair companies, including one "guaranteed local repairs"!!!!  :zap:

So who is local, with a donor machine to test out their claim?