Author Topic: A russian take on the ball turner tool  (Read 6538 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
A russian take on the ball turner tool
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]&NR=1

I must say.. i find this for one easier to make. and two, have more advantages in that it take larger convolute and involute cats, from zero and up than the usual "dreamcutters" ive seen been made on forums.

The downsides, gotta be that its hard to make a precis ball. Where the hell do you measure. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline mechman48

Re: A russian take on the ball turner tool
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »
Watched the guy use the radius cutter, while I agree it will cater for lager involute/convolute cuts I find it disturbing that he seems to have a lack of a sense of danger; leaning on the headstock,wearing long droopy sleeves very close to a revolving chuck, handle very near the chuck when reaching round the back of the lathe  :bugeye:  :jaw: . Mmmmm! a sense of complacency comes to mind.When I taught apprentices safety was paramount, commenting that if you have to reach/lean across a lathe toolpost to carry out a machining process or,having long sleeves,wearing jewelry near a revolving chuck then the set up is wrong & attitude needs to be addressed.

Just my two penn'orth!
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »
yeah well.. hes russian.. what can i say. ;)

Im more into try to reproduce his radius cutter..  =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
That tommy bar with the balls on each end gets pretty close to the chuck jaws, too. If you inadvetently kocked it across during the job, you'd know about it!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
Geez, whats up with the safety comments.. This was more about a better variant of a ball turner.. not if the machinist are insane or not.
Yes in that version - its unsafe.. done.. No onto the fun stuff. build a better on off the ideas of that.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
Geez, whats up with the safety comments..

Unfortunately not everyone realises when they are looking at something that is less than safe, and some will just copy blindly what they see.

We try not to be a bunch of "Safety Nannies", but I for one would be pretty upset if someone got hurt just because no-one pointed out a few of the safety dangers in what is posted up here.

I know that being told something we already know can be irritating, but who knows how many are reading this who dont know :scratch:

Yes in that version - its unsafe.. done.. No onto the fun stuff. build a better on off the ideas of that.

I'm all for that, and don't forget to take pictures as you do it so you can show us how you do it, after all......  :worthless:  :D

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline mhh

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:44:45 AM »
Can any of you do me a favor and take a screenshot of that ballturner?
I am currently in a country where they seem to think that youtube is a big evil propaganda machine, so they closed the acces for it.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
Can any of you do me a favor and take a screenshot of that ballturner?
I am currently in a country where they seem to think that youtube is a big evil propaganda machine, so they closed the acces for it.

I'll PM you, I've taken some screen shots.

Regards, Matthew.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »
Interesting variant :)

It would have been possible to have a threaded height adjustment under the tool holder (so avoiding the spacer stack in the tool holder)

Bill

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
yeah, im thinking of removing some.. odds, like the tommy bar, and make a knob instead.. dont really know why he had a bar there... And have been doing some calculating on the tool offset from the the pin it rides on in relations to the size of the disk the pin rides on.. it can create quite large items and still always return to a "zero" point where well the barstock would not come out to anything.

Yeap still in solidworks stages.. materials is crazy expensive in sweden so i want to be sure what im building is usable first.