Author Topic: Super severn help!  (Read 9557 times)

Offline kayz1

Super severn help!
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
Hi all, just aquired a super severn and  all the cables have been removed, does any body have the plan for putting the wires back to the motor and forward reverse switch please.. i don't  have a book with it.
many thanks..   Lyn.

Rob.Wilson

Re: Super severn help!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:06 PM »
Check your Email Lyn  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline kayz1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
Many thanks Rob...Play time :thumbup:
Well after i remodel the shed to fit the lathe..  :doh:                 
Ow! and remove the 9x20.
 Lyn.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
No worries Lyn   :thumbup: 

Dont forget some photos  :poke: :)

Rob

Offline kayz1

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
I will try and work that one out tomorrow..
  Lyn.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
Getting hasle with photobucket at the Mo: but will try again later with pics..
Need MORE help thou. Thanks for the wiring diagram Rob, BUT! it is different to the motor on my machine:
The diag shows the running windings as :   A to block 7 and what looks like A2 or AZ to block 5
Starter windings  T to block 8 and z or 2 to block 6...

the motor in my lathe looks like a new-ish one painted black with out name plate the terminals are
T2 and t3...A1 and A2.
it has internal wires 2 black and one red.  T2 and T3 have the black wires and A1 has the red wire..
Can anybody help please?
  Lyn.   

Offline kayz1

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »
Ok so nobody can say which is whic wire/terminal so does anyone no what will happen if i get the the wrong way around?
 Lyn.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »
If the motor is the original one, the Myford Super 7 Manual is on the net. This answer hopefully answers the supplementary question of other features.

For the many other answers about Super 7's, I would strongly suggest that you invest in George Thomas's books  and the one by Jack Radford. If you want to push a little further, then Martin Cleeve will be excellent reading. All of these authors had Myfords and consequently you can get designs for accessories etc for your machine -without having to scales or modify.

If your motor isn't 'original' then I'd suggest that you get Tubal Cain's Model Engineer's Pocket Book which does contain other wiring diagrams- along with other 'advice'

I hope that you will enjoy your new machine

Norman

Offline kayz1

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
Thank you for your reply Fergus, i will look into the books on your list..All this is new to me i bought my 9x20 to ( have a go ) learn on 10 months ago, not done much bar make loads of scrap from the Ali i bought then i happened upon the S7 from a mate...So shed is now remodeled and i have the stand in place and the lathe on the Bike table ready for the BIG lift across. Well! when i can find out how to wire it.
 Regards.  Lyn.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »
Hi Lyn,
            Actually I had a 920 ( or strictly a 9180 with a Myford spindle) and know quite a lot about your previous lathe.
I found the 920 a bit too awkward on lots of counts and bought what you could call a 'basket case' of a S7B and had it slideways ground etc at a local firm up here in County Durham and am more than satisfied. Actually, I had had a number of Super 7's and ML7's before this and sort of moved quite a lot of 'homemade tooling' onto the 'new' lathe.

The nice thing about the suggested books is that Thomas especially does a step by step set of instructions for many of his tools. I confess that Bill Bennett who edited the Model Engineers Workshop Manual is an old friend of both my wife and myself but so what? Once you have got 'wired up' and the wheels turning, I would suggest that you make up the rear parting tool. Kits are from Hemingway( merely a satisfied customer) and all this parting off headaches stuff disappears and you have also learned a lot about machining in the process.

I've wandered  :offtopic: but I felt that it might be useful to you.

Cheers

Norman

Offline Jonny

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
Sorry cant really help its been 20 yrs since mine was original.
Look on the bright side Lyn at least you havent got to work out and rewire the motor Forward/Stop/Reverse. Had to do it twice plus change the motor to something more usable.
Just sit down and work out with multimeter what wire does what.

Another way if only to relegate one wire is to line up over the grommet, see if any wires are shorter, longer or even bent.

Might be back later, just remembered seen my wiring diagram some where in last 3 weeks.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Not being very comuter savvy( and who is at 82 years) I simply Googled 'Myford Super 7 Manual' and went straight into Metal WebNews and out came the manual as a pdf.

There is a lot of possible changes as the S7 is quite an old machine. I was being a trifle cautious but you could, at a push, use your wiring diagram for the 920.

Mine is one of these 3 phase Eurotherm affairs from single phase 240.

Might I add a daft comment or three? If you do reverse the Myford, there is a chance that chucks and face plates might or will unscrew- and the whole thing comes adrift.
N

Offline kayz1

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
Thanks guys, i sat down in the shed this afternoon with a nice cup of French coffee and a wedge of chokky cake :drool: and worked it out:::sort of. I found the chopped off cables and looked at each one and checked against the bits left in 1 the motor 2 the terminal at the rear..Lathe is not yet on the stand it is still sitting on the bike table with long leads to the terminal block, plugged it in closed my eyes and switched on,,,,,No  :zap:
so i hit the forward leaver and it ran forward, changed to rev and it went backwards :thumbup: I thought at that stage to stop and write it all down ready for the big lift tomorrow with the Lad...Many thanks for pushing me to do it...
   Lyn.  PS: 38 years working on 50v stuff i thought i better have a go.

Offline loply

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »
Ah the unparalleled convenience of chopping wires off with a bit left at each end so they can be matched back up again later.

Chopped a potentiometer off the control board on my mill a while ago and forgot that lesson... How many combinations of three wires can there be? Let me tell you, enough to try my limited patience.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Hi there, Lyn,

Just a few comments about putting your Super Seven on its stand.  Please forgive me if any of the following is 'teaching granny how to suck eggs'!  (Is there not a smiley for that?)

First of all, if you are mounting the lathe on raising blocks, get some well-coordinated help lifting it.  The ML7 or Super 7 is very unbalanced and, if lifted by the apparently obvious lifting points, tries hard to tip over, motor down.  I managed to bend the upstanding bolts on my raising blocks when demounting and/or remounting my ML7.  Fortunately replacements were available as spares from Myford.

My lathe is mounted against the workshop wall, I didn't have room for an 'island' position.  This means that it's jolly difficult to fit the motor after the lathe is on its stand - it can be done but it's a fiddle.  Similarly, it's difficult to wire up the motor reaching over the lathe bed, headstock & pulleys etc., far better to connect the cables to the motor while it's accessible and then connect the other end of the bunch of cables (I enclosed mine in robust plastic flexible conduit) to the control box at the front of the stand once the lathe is in position.

In the workshop I had some years ago, the lathe was so positioned that, looking back up the mandrel bore, I saw the workshop wall.  If I had ever wanted to turn anything long, I would have drilled a hole on the wall and supported the back end of the job outside in the garden!  In my present workshop, that line of sight sees the double glazed window - I'm not going to try drilling any holes in that!! :bang:

Most of the above won't apply if your lathe has an 'island' position.
Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline kayz1

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Pete W, i did had two large lads help me do the lifting, me at the sharp end them at the blunt bit.
we dropped it into place and all is good, did wiring as you said i have the lathe about 20" from the wall so got to the back ok.
I still can't get any photos to load thou... :doh:
All stopped at the moment as i have to do a motorcycle up for a mate but that want take me very long :beer:
  Lyn.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Biker chick :clap:
Sounds interesting.

Fetched my ML7 plus stand and extras in a Fiesta, i was stronger then.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 05:28:52 AM »
Hi there, all,

When I moved my workshop contents to where I live now, the lathe had to be transported from the car, out in the street, to the workshop in the back garden.  My wife and I used a builder's wheelbarrow.  There were lots of bumps and uneven features on the way but the barrow coped with them very well.  Its wheel has an inflatable tyre rather than a solid one and I think that was the key element in our success.

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline kayz1

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
Biker chick :clap:
Sounds interesting.

Fetched my ML7 plus stand and extras in a Fiesta, i was stronger then.

****Biker chick****

Sorry Jonny  MALE it's Welsh :clap:
  Lyn.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »
 :lol: Thats me told, keep up the good work.

Think the only remnant of my ole ML7 is the Dewhurst switch and bracket complete. Cant remember what happened to all the other stuff except 4 jaw i took and left at work.