Author Topic: A short break  (Read 6403 times)

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
A short break
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:33:49 PM »
Well thats my last look on here for a few days, Hospital for me at 7 in the morning for the first of my knee replacement ops.
Not looking forward to it but im struggling to get around at the moment, cant stand for long. not much been happening in my workshop/garage for a while. I cant sit down and use the lathe, it just dosent seem right. Looking forward to catching up on here when im out.
John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: A short break
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
millwright

Good luck with the hospital stay. Let's hope that it is short and successful. Hope there are lots of pretty nurses running around to look after you and keep your mind off the business at hand. We will be watching for you on your return and expect a full report on the nurses.
 :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
Good luck and God bless, get well and come back!  :thumbup:  :clap:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
Good luck John! 

Hope all goes well for you, and you're pain free, very soon......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
All the best, John!

I'm sure it will go well. My mother-in-law had one knee done around ten years ago and was trotting around in no time at all. She's wondering if, at 93, it's worth getting the other one replaced!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:42:17 AM »
Hope you speedy recovery.

My father had one op like you. His recovery was speedy at the begining, but he is having hard time taking it easy and follow instructions about the recovery. He should take it easy, but keeps forgetting it.

Pekka

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:03:26 AM »
Well not very good week for me, the knee replacement went ok I had the epidural so was awake but groggy throughout.Only problem with that is you are aware of all the pulling tugging and twisting going on, never mind the noises,hammering banging im sure i heard an anglegrinder bieng fired up as well. was back on the ward in about an hour and a half having a sandwich and a coffe and pain free.over the next 24hrs the epidurals pain killing properties wore off and the pain kicks in!!!! Not nice, then the first bit of physio out of bed and walking with a zimmer frame,not to bad at all then move on to the crutches that felt even better i could bear all my body weight on the new joint, back in bed then and the pain started,Ahh morphine that eased it. Was discharged on monday evening home and bed. Tuesday the pain was back and the bruising coming out from the cheek of my arse to the sole of my foot, no pain from the knee just the bruising. Couldnt sit on it or lay on it for longer than minutes at a time, standing with the crutches walking round the garden and up and down the drive was a bit of relief, then try to sit or lay down for a while. The nice new comfy pc chair bought a few weeks ago for my birthday seemed like a torture instrument i had to call for help to get out of it after 5 mins. didnt have any enthusiasm for pc after that, So an update to today, I slept ok last night the bruising  and swelling now going down, im quite mobile on the crutches and better getting in and out of a chair. the sciatica in the other leg dosent help when trying to sit or sleep. stiches come out on monday, see the surgeon in 6 weeks to how this this one is going and discuss having the other one done. Ive heard some people have had a relatively pain free job, I can only say that i Havent. Hoping for a better week next week.  would be interested if any MadModders have ahd a total knee replacement to compare my experience. Oh well time to take my pills and ahve a walk round the garden. Cant believe this has taken me an hour to do and had to stop 3 times for a walk.
 Regards  John, In pain but hopefully will get there in the end. 

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:15:16 AM »
John.
As a pal often says. "If tha grumblin, the's nowt much wrong wi' thi'".........

I know nowt of what you've been through. But, other pals don't want their old joints putting back!

Hope you're comfortable and fully active again, soon.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »
John,

I've had keyhole surgery on my left knee twice now...Both occasions were very painful..

The first one especialy...I was bandaged from groin to ankle and wondered what they had done to it  :dremel: was soooooo painful but I got over it.

Cant imagine for a minute the hurting you're experiencing but hope you make a speedy recovery soon and back in the shop.... :D

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:34 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments lads, saw the doctor yesterday and hes happy with how its healing, apparently bruising and pain varies between people we are all different. already got an appointment to discuss having the other one done!!!!  :Doh:
had the dressing changed.no stitches just superglue, must be better stuff than what i bought from the £shop.
regards John

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »
I think It does vary how it effects you , I have had  4 hip opp's done over the years and am fortunate to recover very quick and the last few haven't needed much pain relief, just has a pacemaker change and they used purple super glue bit skeptical about it but after 2 month's (final bit of glue just come off) all I have is a very fine near invisible red line I recon in a month it will be invisible  , yet the last few scars there are very noticeable.

the main thing is that when you get over the initial pain and problems it you will not have the pain you had pre opp

hope you keep recovering quickly so you can get the other one done and be pain free.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »
Glad youe seem a little perkier today, John.

Every day from now on should see a bit more improvement.

Andy

PS Trying to keep my own spirits up here. I am going to need both knees doing in the not too distant future  :(
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short