Author Topic: Change gear charts for metric C2 mini-lathe - Imperial and Metric threads  (Read 5618 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Hi folks, last year before I moved house and lost my workshop, I had a little project to do which needed an Imperial thread. This posed a little problem for me as my little Mini-Lathe (Seig C2) was a metric leadscrew, and I was too tight to buy an imperial leadscrew and change gear set just for this one project.

I had read before that it is possible to screwcut an imperial thread on a metric lathe ( or vice-versa ) with many threads being accurate to under 0.5% error, so I set about researching and building a chart. Some of the imperial TPI's have a 1%Err but even with that, unless you are using a really long imperial nut, the error shouldn't create much of a problem.

My heartfelt thanks go out to Marv for his wonderful Change Gear program which did all the math for me, and I made up the attached charts. I made a Metric one as well as the supplied chart that came with the Lathe is far from comprehensive.

So I just thought I would share them with you, just in case there is anyone else out there with a C2 (although I think they will apply to the C3 and C4 too, not sure about the C6)

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Hi Tim,

You could have saved yourself a bit of time with this:
http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/change_gears.php

Most of the results it gives for inch threads with a 1.5mm leadscrew look pretty close (probably closer than the accuracy of Chinese leadscrews, anyway!). It would be interesting to see how they compare with your chart.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Hi Tim,

You could have saved yourself a bit of time with this:
http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/change_gears.php

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Although I didn't have net access in my workshop, so a printed list was more convenient for me.

Thanks for the link though, very useful resource  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME