Author Topic: Chopping up a millin cube + Learning to scrape  (Read 4458 times)

Offline loply

Chopping up a millin cube + Learning to scrape
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
Hi folks,

A while ago I bought a very large milling cube (hollow iron box with T-Slots on all sides). It's about 2ft long, 1ft deep and 1ft tall, and weighs by my reckoning about 70kg.

I bought it with the intention of chopping it up into smaller bits, and learning to scrape them, as it's far too big for me as is.

I have a granite surface plate, prussian blue and as of today I've got a sandvik carbide blade scraper and a spare blade to make my own scraper with.

My intention firstly was to chop off one 'side' of the cube to make a traditional type right-angle milling fixture, which I'll scrape flat. I will probably chop various other parts out of the cube for similar fixtures/jigs.

I have a couple of questions though -

1) What's the best way to cut this thing with least distortion/bulging at the cut line? I'm thinking angle grinder with a thin cutting disc?

2) I understand how to scrape a surface flat, but I'm struggling to decide how to scrape one surface of a right-angle jig such that it's perpendicular to the other. Is there a way I can do this with some clever setup of indicators, or do I need a right angle reference to blue off? If I make two at once does that help somehow? I have a height gauge, precision ground square and the usual assortment of accessories but I don't have any decent quality right angle plate to reference off.

Cheers for any help,
Rich

Offline loply

Re: Chopping up a millin cube + Learning to scrape
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »
Hi folks,

Been sitting racking my brains about this one and I've come up with the following. I have a DIN-rated precision ground square, though it's only 4 or 5mm wide, I think I can use it as illustrated and sweep it with a DTI to check my part. Only tricky part is ensuring the square is sitting vertically but I think I can accomplish that with a 123 block (or another square!)

Pic attached, any thoughts?

Cheers,
Rich

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
1) What's the best way to cut this thing with least distortion/bulging at the cut line? I'm thinking angle grinder with a thin cutting disc?

Rich -- Unless the CI has been hardened you are better off making chips than abrading it.  Abrasive cutting tends to get hot (that's what those bright flingy things represent).  Uneven heat creates distortion.  A bandsaw with lubricated coolant will almost certainly be better.

I have (in storage) an old 8 inch table saw for which I devised a multi-step, multi-pulley speed reducer.  The lowest speed setting on it makes the blade turn at 60 sfm and the highest speed setting makes the blade turn at 1000 sfm.  I also devised a weight & pulley system to pull material through the blade (crosscut & rip) so I don't have to stand there and push.  I also added a "drip coolant" system to carry away chips and heat.  I have used this for years to cut down steel bar and plate from the local steelyard's "drop" pile and it is wonderful!

If you can find an old CI table 8 inch saw, this would be a relatively simple solution -- and add new capabilities to your shop.  My problem is that my shop fits really nicely in 2500 sq ft of space and I am currently limited to 880 sq ft -- meaning that most of my tools are living in a storage unit until things change in this regard...

2) I understand how to scrape a surface flat, but I'm struggling to decide how to scrape one surface of a right-angle jig such that it's perpendicular to the other. Is there a way I can do this with some clever setup of indicators, or do I need a right angle reference to blue off? If I make two at once does that help somehow? I have a height gauge, precision ground square and the usual assortment of accessories but I don't have any decent quality right angle plate to reference off.

When you say, precision ground square, does it have a knife-edge?  If so, there's a way to simplify things.  Scrape a small area on each end of your angle plate such that you get a no light fit between your surface plate and the square's edge.  Now you have reference surfaces to which you can work as you scrape that surface flat.  Your final check is that your second surface is flat to the surface plate and that it is square to the first surface.

I used to do a lot of work for the (American) National Bureau of Standards (before it was dismembered into the National Institute of Standards Technology -- and made a protector of intellectual property rather than a promulgator and enforcer of standards).  They had a set of (approximately) 6 inch diameter cylindrical squares used to check squareness by blowing air between them and the object to be tested.  The air flow rate between the cylindrical square and the test object was measured in very small (vertical) increments.  When the flow became constant over the mating distances, the item could be certified as square.  (I have obviously glossed over a number of issues in that summary.  The test specification was a seriously multi-hundred page document.)  That set-up could measure squareness within .0000002 inches/inch of height.

This will hopefully give you some ideas.  Good luck!

Offline loply

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
Hi Lew,

Thanks for your reply. The trouble with using a bandsaw is the size and weight of the piece - as stated it's around 70kg ie barely liftable, and wouldn't fit in my little bandsaw. I would use a hacksaw but due to the cuboid shape of the thing the top of the saw will eventually prohibit cutting far enough in to it.

One of those slow-running metal-cutting Evolution circular handheld saws would probably work, but the CI is very thick (an inch or so) and I suspect it would eat a blade or two.

The only other choice I do (possibly!) have is to put it on the mill table (on which it just about fits!) and cut it with end mills, but it'd be a test of patience...

My 'precision ground square' is the type made from one solid piece of steel approx 4-5mm (ie quarter inch) thick, no knife edge, just ground on all sides. It's stamped with a DIN standard of some kind and I presume it's relatively square.

Cheers,
Rich

Cheers,
Rich