Author Topic: Goodby To HMEM - Another Refugee Has Arrived  (Read 5529 times)

Offline George_Race

• Race Consulting
Goodby To HMEM - Another Refugee Has Arrived
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Hi all, my name is George and I live near Albion, MI - U.S.A.
I am a retired Plant Supervisor from a small private college after 39 years of service.  My major interest for years have been flying and Amateur Radio.  Since retirement I built and did all the test flights on my own airplane, a Zenith CH-701.  After a time I sold the airplane and am now involved in building airplane parts for Experimental Aircraft, more of a hobby than a job.  I am not a machinist, my background is in computer systems, electronics, and commercial construction.

After I built, flew, and sold my airplane, I decided to get involved with metal work, specifically to build parts for other airplane builders.  I put together a home-brew CNC system, got a small HF lathe, and a bunch of other metal working equipment.  It has been a ball, learning to work with metal.  I have done quite a few hobby project that I posted mainly on HMEM.  I will attempt to go back and post some of there here as well, so you all can see what I am into and like to do.

I enjoy sharing and helping others with projects.  Am very involved with my local EAA Chapter 304.  Am the Secretary, Young Eagle Coordinator, Newsletter Editor, and Web Master.  That along is just about enough to keep me busy full time.  Also involved in rebuilding a Tri-Pacer PA22, from the ground up.  Should be flying this fall.  http://www.eaa304.com

My web site has a lot of information that you may be interested in reading as well.  You can check it out here:  http://www.mrrace.com

Look forward to being an active contributor on this and other sites.
George

Airplane Builder - Pilot
Amateur Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline krv3000

Re: Goodby To HMEM - Another Refugee Has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
hi jump in and have fun

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
Hi George,  :wave:

Hello and welcome to MadModder  :clap:

Glad you arrived  :thumbup:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Hi there George :wave: and welcome to Madmodder.

I too am a (recently qualified) amateur radio operator (MI0TME), not yet on HF (gotta save a few more pennies to get a rig) but when I do maybe we'll meet on the bands!!

I think I saw some of your work on HMEM, but I am looking forward to seeing it as you post up here.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »
Hi George.
Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

As you probably know by now, we're a mixed bunch on here.  :smart:

Join in. Show us what you do.  :thumbup:

Enjoy!  :)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline George_Race

• Race Consulting
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »
I guess it is official now.  On HMEM, under my name on my posts, it says BANNED!
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Amateur Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
George,
Never mind, I don't suppose they have said why?

One of my pet peeves about forums some do become annoyingly childish.
 :beer:
DaveH

(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
I guess it is official now.  On HMEM, under my name on my posts, it says BANNED!
George

I cant for the life of me understand their actions! All they are doing is preventing likeminded folk sharing experiences and techniques which is what we are about.......

Suffice to say there's room for us all here...A warm welcome from me too :thumbup:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline George_Race

• Race Consulting
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
DavidH, I have been annoying to them, trying to get all of the posts that I started removed from the board.
I just no longer wish to be associated with them in any way.  Maybe I am being a bit childish, but when you cannot get a straight answer, your emails are ignored, recent posts to the board are deleted,  your username and password are reset, it is well past the time to move on, and I have.

George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Amateur Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline mzt

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »
George,

the initial password reset I can understand: they imported the users to the new software and had no way to retireve the associated passwords in their uncrypted form. Had they had a way to do that, they were clever enough NOT to make it clear for everybody.
As for the other points: the new administration felt there was a choice to make, and made it.

Marcello

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
They are a money making group, in the future they are hoping to turn it in to a e magazine. When you respond to the email or street address regarding the material on the site you are responding to their copyright lawyers offices. They have ways of slowing down the process and will wear out your health and wallet in silly litigation, let a lone any obscure laws in their local or yours you may have broken. With nasty emails, wording not used in mixed polite company, or posting unacceptable photo's or links to same. They can farm the case out to a local to you lawyer, that can on speculation of a monetary return, write you letters and file papers against you in your local court. That will require you to hire a lawyer. The can keep getting postponements as to take every dime in your wallet having your lawyer answering their letters!
The best course of action is to get over it and move on. As they pay their lawyers by the year retainer and the lawyer has their secretaries address their standard letters to you and send them out.

The small time or little guy rarely wins in the long run, when dealing with lawyers, let alone with a section of the law that is so murky and unclear as copyright regarding the internet and international laws.

GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »
[computer-geek]

Passwords in SMF (and vBulletin for that matter) are encrypted using a one-way encryption - i.e. you cannot decrypt the password from its encrypted form.

Ironically, in practice, this means that several passwords could have the same encrypted form! However, the resulting encryption is usually a 32 character hexadecimal number (irrespective of how many characters your password started off at), and it's specifically tailored to be wildly different for only slightly differing passwords (e.g. "fred1" as a password would have a much different encrypted value than "fred2").

For those who are interested, a quick Google on "MD5 encryption" will tell you all about it.

In essence, MD5s are encrypted using a second, fixed, password. Since the password is different in vBulletin compared to SMF; the same "your password" in both systems will actually produce a different hash value (that 32-byte hex number). Which is why they had to re-set everyone's password; because they simply were not able to transfer them; or re-encode them.

[/computer-geek]
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mzt

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
Ade,

thank You for the details.
Marcello