Author Topic: Well I finally made it  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Runner42.2

Well I finally made it
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »
Hi I am another from HMEM but getting registration here was a PITA*. My interest are steam engines and locomotives. My first project was to build a 3 1/2" gauge locomotive Rob Roy. It took 2 1/2 years to complete. The workmanship was representative of a total beginner having only a lathe and a drill press. Every operation that required a milling machine was undertaken using a hacksaw and files. Making the boiler was my nemesis, in Australia there are boiler safety codes which I was unaware of when starting the boiler and by the time I became aware I had progressed the boiler too far to ever have a chance of getting it certified. I did however undertake my own pressure test and got it to hold 160psi for 30 mins. I have built a single vertical steam engine of my own design from stock materials and I am currently building a twin vertical steam engine again own design and stock materials.

I marvel at the fine quality engines being made by members of this forum and others. I wish when I started Rob Roy I had exposure to these topics, I am sure that the learning process would not have been so steep and the sleepless nights I had would not have been so many. I am more of a lurker than an artisan willing to share his experience and photographs with others. But with experience that may change LOL.

Brian.

The following is just a heads up to the administrator.

*I think I may have exposed a small software error in the registration process because every time I tried to register it indicated that an error occurred and stated that my Logonname with EMail name@someplace.com.au (IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) was Spam and to contact the administrator. How? I tried several times with the same details and got the same response. In desperation I posted at HMEM my problem and asked how I could contact the Madmodder adminstrator. That upset HMEM and they removed my question soon after it was posted, as I expected they would. I flippantly tried a another logonname with an old defunct  EMail address all other details the same and the registration process accepted it but required confirmation via the EMail. Since the EMail address wasn't active I couldn't complete the registration process. So I changed the logon name with all other details the same as before, but then it said I couldn't complete another registration from the same computer. I rebooted the computer and this time I was sucessful. So was it because I was using a logonname that was already in use at Madmodder?

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Well I finally made it
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:22:37 AM »
Brian

Welcome to MadModder. We are glad to see you here and look forward to your participation in the various forums.

Sorry to here that you had so many problems trying to get registered with MadModder but we are glad that you made it. Periodically we run into that problem and it usually has to do with someone previously using that IP address as a spammer.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »
Hi and welcome to us  :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:21:05 AM »
Hi Brian  :wave:

1st welcome to the collective :Borg:

Sounds like you had an encounter with the anti-spam bot. It compares your IP with a database of known spam IPs. It usually works quite well but occasionally catches an innocent bystander. Someone who had the IP before did something to get it registered.

I do have a thread about this and how to contact me to correct.

Sorry about the trouble but without the bot it would become a full time job banning the spammers

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Hi there Brian :wave: welcome to our little club, sorry you had some diff's registering, but glad you got there in the end  :headbang:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
Hi Brian.
Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

Pleased you made it, in the end.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Runner42.2

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
Thank you all for your welcome messages. I am glad to be finally here and look forward to watching the progress of models being made and posting how to questions that will invariably occur during my future attempts at model making.

By the way I live in Adelaide South Australia, we think that it is the best place in the world to live, but others may disagree.

Brian

Offline Runner42.2

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
Eric,

don't think I am being paranoia but you said "Someone who had the IP before did something to get it registered". I assume from that you have a database of banned IP addresses and that I was showing up as a banned IP address? However I get a different IP address from my ISP every time I boot up so I would have presented four different IP addresses during the times I tried to register and on the penultimate attempt the IP address firstly gave the error message and after changing the registration details allowed it. I checked the list of Madmodder members and and found out that I wasn't using the same logon name of an existing member.

I am not fazed by it but if there is a possibility that hackers are at work I would like to let my ISP know and discuss means of preventing this.

Brian

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
hi jump in and enjoy the fun