Author Topic: Driving while texting!  (Read 7761 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Driving while texting!
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
This afternoon as the west bound mixed freight came thru town. 5 crossings north to south the engine had just signaled for the last south crossing. When it slowed and came to a stop, blocking the crossing on my street. Had to go 3/4 of a mile north to get across the tracks, to go to my parents. Coming back almost 2 hours later it still was blocking all the crossings.

So that told me that it had been a fatal encounter of car to train! Seems somebody was texting while driving. Went under the moving train, a newer tank car. The person died, there is some difference of opinion on the age and sex of the person. But they all agreed they when dead!

My silly neighbors son was just DWS as I wash cleaning up dishes window faces the side street I live on the corner DWS is (driving while stupid) He almost took out the fire plug on the corner as he rolled thru the stop sign and trying to turn the corner while looking and answering his smart phone! To bad the phone is smarter than he is. And he is mid 30's

I think that they should put this kind of thing on the news, with photo's rather than all the crap about the silly celebrities.
So remind your families of the danger!
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Driving while texting!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »
A family member recently picked up a ticket for driving through a red traffic light (not on his phone, just not concentrating sufficiently - fortunately it was at dark o'clock & no accident occurred). These days, you can either take a £60 fine + 3 points on your licence, or go on a 1 day road safety course (cost: £60) and they will waive the points. He opted for the course.

According to the guy running it, one of the biggest problems with a large and growing proportion of young drivers is their absolute inability to not respond to the phone - especially texts - absolutely immediately. This is, as you might expect, causing a road safety nightmare...

In theory, using a mobile phone whilst you're driving is illegal in the UK. Hands-free systems fall through the net (not because they're exempt, but because the police can't tell that you're using one). In practice, I see more & more people with phones stuck to their ears whilst driving; and you can always tell someone who's using their phone: They drive exactly the same as someone who is drunk.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline kwackers

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »
£1000 fine and an automatic 6 month ban (plus some actual traffic police) would soon put a stop to it.

Professional drivers are the worst, because even if caught the courts are reluctant to ban them, yet if they'd been drinking it would be automatic.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:45 AM »
And the auto companies are the worst as they are putting email, and the computer screens in the dash. Big push right now here in the US is to get them to turn off if moving faster than a walk. Phones both hand held and built ins! most states and some local have laws against use already.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
I'm with Wes  :thumbup:
Sadly it is an unnecessary  tragic waste of a life, and a heart ache for family and friends

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
I sincerely wish the police would fine more people messing with mobile phones while driving. saw some woman bawling out someone on hers few weeks back while driving one handed and way too fast.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »
When I'm driving, I don't talk. In my opinion, talking to a passenger is the same as talking on the phone. Too dangerous.
Jim

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 03:36:03 AM »
We have corporate policy that states no mobile phone use while driving, subject to disciplinary action..

Applies to bluetooth as well.....

We are told not to call people on mobiles if they are not in the office for fear they may be driving (unless we know different)

I've told my son on countless occasions about calling us when he is on his way home.....Dont do it!!! :Doh:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline velocette

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:26:57 AM »
Two Half wits texting while driving + 1/2 divided by 1/2 = 1/4 Not much Brain left to engage in the driving as they approach each other.

We can educate the ignorant
there is no solution to Stupid

Eric

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »
Oddly, though it is illegal for a driver to use a handheld mobile/cellphone here in the UK, it is OK for me as a radio ham to chat (or even send Morse!) if it doesn't interfere with my driving.

But it's hard to see how trying to tune in to some faint SSB signal, use a Morse key strapped to my knee or find and move to a clear channel on FM isn't going to be somewhat distracting.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline kwackers

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »
It's all down to numbers.
The current phone legislation wasn't brought in to make it illegal (it was already illegal in the sense of 'due care and attention' as is using ham equipment). It came about to make it easier to prosecute since proving due care is actually quite difficult (being subjective...)

So basically a handful of radio hams vs millions of texting/phone using folk.

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
In theory, using a mobile phone whilst you're driving is illegal in the UK. Hands-free systems fall through the net (not because they're exempt, but because the police can't tell that you're using one). In practice, I see more & more people with phones stuck to their ears whilst driving; and you can always tell someone who's using their phone: They drive exactly the same as someone who is drunk.

I once narrowly missed getting arrested for throwing the iPhone of some slag who tried to kill me onto a petrol station roof.

The mobile phone law is a correct one to have, but it can't be enforced by a speed camera so it does nothing...

Offline markball2

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
Well, maybe we need to show the kids/people guilty of texting & driving some photos.

Warning GRAPHIC
I haven't always been a nurse..................

Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill