Author Topic: Boxford lathe; can anyone help please ?  (Read 4913 times)

Offline audioaudio

Boxford lathe; can anyone help please ?
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
Hi,
I have a Boxford AUD mkIII with a couple of problems and hoping someone can help.

The power feed is sticking on when I release it, and sometimes when this happens, hitting the knob releases it. This is intermittent but scary when you are up to a shoulder !! I dismantled it, cleaned it and re-assembled it but still it sticks. Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?

Second problem is headstock misalignment. I know how to align it, but what about the front hold-down bolt. It is so tight to get at that I have had to make a short spanner to get to be able to turn it. Has anyone found a way around this problem, as it is knuckle scraping to try to un-tighten and tighten it.

Thanks.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Boxford lathe; can anyone help please ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
Hi there, welcome to Madmodder :mmr:

I'm sorry that I can't be any help with your problem, but I'm sure that someone will be along soon with some help for you.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
Hi
Other than striping and cleaning the clutch & re lubricating it there is not much else you can do with it
I bent a 5/8 spanner to fit the front bolt on mine
It would be well worth visiting the Boxford user group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoxfordLathe-UserGroup/join?yguid=172256512&finish=sub
You have a good lathe there
The only problem i have with mine is belt slip under heavy loads
John

Offline audioaudio

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »
Thank you both for writing back to welcome me and try to help me.

I have fixed the problem, which was caused by the outer part of the clutch (the part that is in 2 halves). The outer surface had a wear ring about 3mm wide that was so bad you could feel the ridge. I had a spare part for it (although used and a bit scored on the inner surface), but did not have the wear pattern on the outside. I did get some help from the yahoo group as well, as someone wrote back and said it could be due to eccentricity of the clutch which is what made me look at it more closely.

My next problem is aligning the headstock as it is not cutting parallel. I'm good with shims though !!

Thanks also for the advice about the spanner. will do just that.

Thanks for all the help and what a nice forum.