Author Topic: Fobco table repair  (Read 11217 times)

Offline Jonfb64

Fobco table repair
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi to all in the collective :borg:

This is my first post and I am in need of some assistance to repair a  Fobco bench drill cast iron table.

Here's the problem :scratch:

I was thinking of arc welding but have read elsewhere that this is really difficult and also leaves hard spots that are unmachineable. The other options i can see is drilling and tapping for threaded mild steel rod, riveting mild steel plugs  or adding a plate over the top.

Jon
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:19:04 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Fobco table repair
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
Hi there Jon :wave: Welcome to Madmodder :mmr:

I'm sorry I can't help you with your request, but I'm sure that someone will chime in with some help soon :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
Hi and Welcome to Madmodder Jon  :wave:

OUCH that's bad  :Doh:  ,,,,,,,,,,, i would stay away from trying to weld it up to repair the table ,, as without pre and post heat treat it will probably just snap in half ,,,,,,me personally i would get hold of some 3/8 plate and cut it to the shape of the table working surface , cut out the slots ,hole in the centre ect  and screw it to the table , if you wanted to go all out ,fill any gap left between the two with body filler and a coat of paint  :dremel:

Rob

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the rapid response guys. :clap:
If the master welder say don't .................
I think a plate over the top is the way to go.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »
Hi Jon

Just remember to post a few photos of the repair  :poke: :worthless: :)

Rob

Offline philf

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »
Jon,

I've seen worse. I once saw one advertised locally at a good price. When I went to see it I was horrified to see that the table had been severed completely and a piece of 3mm aluminium sheet had been screwed on the top to hold the two parts together. Needless to say I didn't buy it. I later picked up a good one for £80 which has since been upgraded to a Fobco 7-8.

I would second Rob's fix of a plate fastened on top. :thumbup: If you haven't got the facility to cut the slots or don't know a friendly supplier with a waterjet or laser cutter I would think you could use 3 bits of plate - a piece with a hole in the centre to match the width between the insides of the two slots and two narrower pieces of plate for the outsides.

When I was in the training school we did a repair on a bigger pillar drill where we bolted several T shaped bars to the wrecked table to make it T-slotted.

Good luck.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
Phil,

I only paid £80 for the drill and I really like the idea of fabricating a T-slotted table. Will have to have a rummage through the stock room aka junk pile and see what I come up with. I only paid £80 for the drill which needs other work doing, but I think it will be worth it considering what some dealers are asking for machines in not much better condition. It really is a solid bit of kit compared to the Chinese drill I've been using.

Keep the ideas coming guys, the best one may get a prize!   :D

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
Good idea Phil  :med:

T slotted table would do the job  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:20:47 PM »
JB Weld.  It won't be pretty, but it will fill the holes and last for decades. You'll probably have to do it in steps because of shrinkage, but you can sand down the whole thing afterwards.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline pjf134

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
 I would clean up the holes for some press fit metal plugs and maybe a little machinable weld and grind for some strength as the table is almost cut in half. I asume the table is cast, if so they make two kinds of weld rod, soft and hard for this kind of project. You could add a little JB Weld to make it look better after the plugs and weld. Pre-heat cast before welding and it will work good.
 Paul
To error is human, but doing it a second time takes a better excuse!

Offline Miner

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »
My opinion? And it's worth far less than you paid. That table in it's current condition is scrap metal. I wouldn't hestate to bin the whole thing. Even brand new and unmarked D/P tables have excessive flex due to an overall very poor engineering design. Some round stock and good plate steel along with some strategicly placed stiffening ribs between the sleeve that rides on the D/P coloum and up under the table would give you a far more rigid table than a brand new one would. Proper welding is a definate need though. Machine for accuracy after welding. I've yet to see any drill press table on anything the average person could afford that wasn't just barely more rigid than jello.

Don't believe me? Set up a dial indicator with the plunger sitting on the very most outbard end of the table. Then start adding some pressure with your thumb. Around 10 pounds of pressure should convince you that standard drill presses are really not good enough for even woodworking.

Pete

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 03:49:53 AM »
Hi Jon

Dose your model have the swivel table ? 

Rob 

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 04:30:56 AM »
Hi Rob,

not sure
the table is bolted to the part that clamps to the pillar with a steel pin either side to lock it horizontal. Looks like it can be moved to the vertical as there is a corresponding hole for the pin in that position. Not sure if that makes sense?

Will try and a photo posted if it do sent.

Jon

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »
hi just my bit their is a wide range of metal reaper puttees out their the one that cums to mind is devcon its rather expensive but it Du's wot it says on the tin

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
Hi to all in the collective :borg:

This is my first post and I am in need of some assistance to repair a  Fobco bench drill cast iron table.

Here's the problem :scratch:

I was thinking of arc welding but have read elsewhere that this is really difficult and also leaves hard spots that are unmachineable. The other options i can see is drilling and tapping for threaded mild steel rod, riveting mild steel plugs  or adding a plate over the top.

Jon

Oh ... get the man who did that and shoot him right away ! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

When it's so much I think there is a posibiblity that it will crack if you weld it, but I'm not THAT experienced in welding cast iron.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
That table looks just like its come out of a school technology classroom, And ive seen worse.
John

Offline naffsharpe (Nathan)

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
If it's of any use to you I have a complete (not Fobco) machine with a similar table that you are welcome to collect and take away. The make is unknown and I bought it umpteen hand from G+M tools years ago, it has minor damage only to the table and the table is swivel mounted. I only stopped using it because of the noise from the pressed steel motor mount/tensioning/upper casing. Single phase 230v  1/2hp capacitor start all working. It was destined to become materials bin stock but if you want it come and get it. If you don't want it the offer is there for anyone else, especially those starting up and on a low budget. Location is near Bangor North Wales.
                                  Nathan.