The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Getting answers

<< < (2/4) > >>

sbwhart:
Hi Chaps.

I think one of the problems with this, is lack of background knowledge particularly with new members, people ask the question thinking they are the first person on the planet  :borg: to have the problem, so they never think of doing the search.

I have a similar problem with the young engineers at work, they say why don't we do this, (fresh out of uni, thinking they know all the answers) I say done it tried it didn't work, acassionaly I come across a pain in the back side pushy know it all, who insists that he's right, (women engineers don't seem to have this problem) I say OK have a go but this and this will happen, they only do it once, because yours truly is a master at rubbing noses in the muck, the hard lessons you allways remember.

In the case of the elbow engine
 :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

OK chaps get off the floor

I new that John had built one and he told be about the correspondence on the HMEN forum. so I went there looking for it  (lurking), as I new it was there.

I think the best approach would be to gently point people in the direction as already suggested. Along the lines off if you try this ------------  and by the way you could try for further information to a search for  -----------

Cheers
 :wave:

Stew

PTsideshow:

--- Quote from: sbwhart on January 30, 2009, 11:07:56 AM ---Hi Chaps.

I think the best approach would be to gently point people in the direction as already suggested. Along the lines off if you try this ------------  and by the way you could try for further information to a search for  -----------
Cheers
 :wave:

Stew

--- End quote ---

Even that doesn't work as it seems a lot of people, their time is so much more important than anybodies else. On other forums I have did as you say! I have been told that if you anit going to answer the question don't respond. Or they don't care, they would like a fresh answer as some of this stuff changes minute by minute  :lol:

It seems that the new polite is rude, crude and stupid smart ass remarks! I have become more of a lurker than a poster on some  The steampunk site I no longer post pictures and explanations of tools equipment, or book reviews because of some of the stupid, childish responses and pm/emails I have received. Of course part of the problem is to many tweeny boppers and low end teenages that have a problem with us old farts  :doh:

But that is the cycle of life!

glen

bogstandard:
This has really stirred up a hornets nest, and as usual I have jumped in with both feet, for that I apologise.

But, and a big but, I will help anyone with a problem, and try to find out as much info for them as I can, but I am not about to start trolling about for hours on old website postings for anyone any more.

If after the initial questions are answered, and the person asking the question is still no closer to getting the answer that is required, surely it is up to that person to start to do a bit of the legwork themselves, rather than having everything served up on a platter. If it isn't in the general member knowledge base, then the answer should be sought elsewhere, and as such the person should be told that, ie 'Get off your a**e and do a bit of work yourself'.

I have spent many hours, sometimes long into the night, in finding obscure answers for people, with not a grunt of thanks at the end of it all. Just as though it is their god given right for people to run around after them.

From now on, my search fee will be $50 per hour, paid up front by paypal (a credit note will be given for hours not used).

I am not refering to people on here by the way, they all seem very grateful for my meagre offerings.

So before asking a question, just think to yourself, 'Have I really explored all the resources I know of, before having these kind people on here do a bit of work for me?'.

If you are a complete newbie, we understand that your resource base will be very small, and in that situation, I am sure people will bend over backwards (in a literal sense) to help, but helping yourself a little first, will be looked on with very good favour.

Bogs

Brass_Machine:
This is such a tough topic.

I really don't like the answer "do a search". But... BUT sometimes it is appropriate. Depending on who and how a question is asked dictates a lot in how it is answered.  How they ask the question is just as important as who asks the question. If it comes across like this: "I have searched and didn't have much luck finding it... can anyone help?" that will get good responses.

However, if someone demands an answer, they may get a canned type response. If they don't like that and come back with "only respond if you are answering" type of deal?? I got a ban button here for you.  :whip:

I would like to think of this place as someone's garage that we meet up in on a Saturday night. Shoot the ****, have a beer (or whatever) a smoke and learn, teach, share and show off!   :ddb:

No-one here has is required to answer anything. None of us are paid to do this. We do it because we want to. I am the type that helps people. I usually bend over backwards if I can. But I don't and won't do it for anyone who feels they are owed that. KWIM?

Eric

Darren:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on January 30, 2009, 02:40:19 PM ---

I would like to think of this place as someone's garage that we meet up in on a Saturday night. Shoot the ****, have a beer (or whatever) a smoke and learn, teach, share and show off!   :ddb:

--- End quote ---

Yep, 'bout sums it up for me too  :ddb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version