The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Getting answers

<< < (4/4)

bogstandard:
Just to finish off, have a look at this post I have been attempting to help on. Just look at how it progresses from the beginning, then problems start to appear at the bottom of the first page.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13751.0

I have come to the conclusion that this chappie is beyond help with the subject, and I have signed off and walked away.

This is the sort of thing I was on about.

John

rleete:
Bogs, you tried.  If he doesn't know enough to understand that different pitches won't work together, he needs more instruction than a forum.  This is exactly the kind of thing that several people have pointed out: ya gotta do your homework, first.  All the tips about adjustable dies and thread classes/fits won't help a bit if he doesn't understand the basics.

Bernd:
John,

You sure were patient with him. I think I would have walked away from that about half way through.

These are the sort of things I see happening. I guess all you can do is try once and then walk away shaking your head. I know I would. Some people just don't have the mechanical ablity. It's very frustrating when trying to explain to the person how something works and then after all that explaining they still don't understand.

Oh well, at least you tried. Have to give you an A+ for that.

Bernd

dsquire:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on January 31, 2009, 02:23:21 PM ---Just to finish off, have a look at this post I have been attempting to help on. Just look at how it progresses from the beginning, then problems start to appear at the bottom of the first page.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13751.0

I have come to the conclusion that this chappie is beyond help with the subject, and I have signed off and walked away.

This is the sort of thing I was on about.

John

--- End quote ---

John

I went and read the thread from start to finish and have to agree, "this chappie is beyond help with the subject".

While I was there I also joined so that will give me another good source of reading and learning.

cheers :D

Don

SPiN Racing:
Hi Guys!

I am JUST getting to the water cooler.. as I have been pouring over all th e other threads for some time now, including before I posted and or registered first.

I have to agree that the "Noobs".... not people who are new... but Noobs being the slang term... Are completely aggrivating.

I was/am a long time member of the RX-7 forum. Its called THE RX-7 forum because its the oldest and largest.. and I think it was the largest automotive forum for a very long time.

I got to a point that I only posted anr or answered questions in the more technical sub forums, because soo many of the posters were simply wandering around and posting to see that people replied to them. They would post the "I wanna" "Im Gonna" And "Can I" posts.. that were completely bizarre. And if they were actually serious.. and had enough skill or money.. would make some interesting end projects. But of course most were early Teenagers, or mid 20 year olds acting like teenagers.

The biggest problem as mentioned above are the "I want X amount of horsepower" how do I do it? And then you explain it in great detail for the 100th time.. and they say.. Nah Im gonna go get a (Different car inserted here) instead..... In which case you realise they dont even have a RX-7.

After a while you begin to see who pays attention to teh answers, and who is simply posting to see thier name on the board.. or up thier post count or something. And you start not replying to the people who dont bother to listen to some "wise" words of experience.

Here... Im just about as new as they come.

And I have to say.. I truly appreciate all the answers I have gotten, and or asked in ignorance. Many things I have searched for.. .made some of my own tools.. and suffer from "I wanna make X" syndrome. And when I ask a question.. I often am asking (As I gather you all know) because Im trying to achieve that goal.

A Lot of the things Im doing now.. I never thought of trying until I came here :) (Light Pull anyone?)

BUT I wanted to say thanks to you all. I get a LOT of questions when I look at thnigs on the board here... and the vast majority of the posters who are building things, are taking pictures, and explaining things.. and the answers become evident as the project progresses.

PS: OH YEAH!!   Searches!!!    Search for Ball Turner on Google.. and or Youtube. 99 percent of them are the Steve Bedair style ones. I never even saw other types till I learned to search for Radius tool, and other variants. My biggest problem I run into searching when in the complete New state... I often dont know what it is Im asking about LOL.
My father is a 35 Year Military Vet. Retired Colonel. Masters in Aviation Psychology, Masters in Mathmatics, and Masters in International Relations, as well as West Point Graduate, Army War college, Ohio State, etc etc etc.. Taught at west point even. Was at Pearl Harbor, and everythign till the Mid 70s as a Pilot.
HE was famous for telling me to go look up a word in the dictionary when I didnt know how to spell it. And it was usually only the really odd words that were spelled NOTHING like it sounds.

Searching for technical stuff like we have here is often like that.
Thankfully, we have people here who worked a career in the field, and although we have DROs, and things to do the math for us.. there is often a trick the machinists used, that is common sense... ..... if you know the trick.

Anyhow.. Thanks again!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version