Author Topic: ANILAM WIZARD DRO  (Read 5338 times)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
ANILAM WIZARD DRO
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
Hi
I have been givem a 3 axis DRO
I have fitted the XY axis scales
I am using the original X axis for the Z problem is it is 6 feet long
It is an aluninium extrusion eith a strip inside that the reader runs on
Question is can i cut it down in length
John

Offline 75Plus

Re: ANILAM WIZARD DRO
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
John,

If it is like this one it can be cut to size. This one is approx. 25mm wide X 3mm thick.

Joe

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
Hi John,

It's possible to cut anything down - Question is, will it still work afterwards :D

I *think* Anilam are glass scales, so you may be able to cut it (the glass) with a Dremelloid and cutoff wheel, depending on whether you can get to it - some scales are dismantleable, some are glued up at the last stage in manufacture. Try detaching (carefully!) one of the end caps from the extrusion - if once the screws are out you can pull the cap off (gently!) you should be good to go. You may find that the glass is glued into the extrusion, in which case it's probably safest to cut the extrusion away (a bit at a time, if necessary) around the glass, then cut the glass scale itself with said dremelloid. This is all based on my knowledge of Easson and Knuth glass scales, so may be totally irrelevant!

If you want to keep the "reference" mark, it's usually in the middle of the scale,and you'll need to cut equal amounts from each end... It does mean you can get back to where you were after a power loss, though, even if some git plays with the handles while you're not looking...

I remember seeing a thread somewhere about cutting glass scales, might be worth exercising your GoogleNinja skills?

and of course, if you go ahead and do it... :worthless:

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Thanks Dave
You can cut them indeed i have and it works fine
Now got a 3 axis reader on my mill
Best bit is it was free
John

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Pleased to hear it! Are we going to be enlightened with pictures of the process?

Should you (or anyone in the UK, for that matter!) come across a stray glass scale, 28" - 36" travel going cheap, I'm short of one to do the 3-axis on my Holbrook (got the readout, although not that posh,  a 12" scale for the cross-slide, 6" for the topslide, just need one for behind the bed...) - beer vouchers offered for scale and postage, of course!

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.