Author Topic: Magnetic speedometers  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
Magnetic speedometers
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
Hello all.

I am still searching for information relating to Magnetic speedometers and how to repair them.

I have been researching this subject for long  time and have recently put a small website up www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com however I am still  looking for more information on these  speedos. Smiths Jaeger called them 'Nemag' speedos. I would like some trade adds, technical information, basically anything.

If any one knows the whereabouts of an original smiths speedo calibration machine I would be very interested 

I would be grateful for any information to  add to the website, advice and comments are also welcome.

Best wishes

Mike   
If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline Ned Ludd

Re: Magnetic speedometers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »
Hi Rick
I would have liked to help you but you are about 15 years too late. I was given, by the widow of the chap who fixed and fitted all the Met Police's speedos from the 50's onwards, all the spares and Smith's books that he had squirrelled away over the years. Unfortunately for you I gave them to a friend who dabbled in clocks and speedos, I know I should have kept them but space is always limited.
 I do know that he designed and built the test equipment that they used, including the calibration rollers for testing the cars and bikes, but there was no Smith's testing equipment in his garage when I cleared it.
Before you ask, I think all the stuff I gave away ended up somewhere in Australia.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline melgump

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
Hi Rick,
Dennis Quinlan in Australia is a well-known speedometer expert. He has a blog " velobanjogent,blogspot.com ". Lots of interesting material, especially Velocette orientated. He also plays the banjo!
Cheers,
Melgump.

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »
Melgump
I can forgive Dennis playing the banjo as I play the bass. I had contacted Dennis a few months ago,  and he was very helpful with some original smiths information,
  thanks for the lead tho.

Ned
Never mind,  I have found  If you don't ask for information  you won't get anything. I should have asked 15 years ago..... The general request was aimed at some one who might have something tucked away.  The stuff you passed on  may have gone to Dennis Quinlan in Austraila

Best wishes
Mike

Mike
If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com