Author Topic: Tapering & reducing the diameter of rod - Help Please  (Read 13871 times)

Offline JigGuy

Tapering & reducing the diameter of rod - Help Please
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:52:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,

First post here... I wasn't sure where to to post this & your forums look helpful so here goes.

I am trying to figure out how to reduce the diameter of the last 2 inches of a 32 inch rod from .375 dia to .345 or so. I should add that I am working with plastic (I know there are a lot of metal machinists here sorry ;-). If the end could be rounded or tapered that would be a bonus.

Here is what I have come up with so far (I am helping my father with a prototype in his garage.. I am not a machinist).

1) I could try to use a belt sander but I cant seem to keep it uniform all the way around
2) I have looked at cylinder/drum sanders but cant seem to find one long enough http://duragrit.com/us/tools/popups/sr-ht2.html
3) This is close to what I am looking for but I would need it to be 1.5 inches longer http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-grinding-stone/BBL04

Does anyone know of a bit or jig that would enable me to be able to put the end of the rod in & have some of it shaved/sanded off (like a router would do but from the outside)?

I hope my question makes sense, its getting late & thought I would post after endlessly searching for a solution. Any help or input is appreciated (I should add the quieter the solution the better as he is in a townhouse & the neighbors are not fans of our noisy garage shop fun haha).

Thanks again, I appreciate it ;-)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Tapering & reducing the diameter of rod - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »
Depending on the 'plastic' I would suggest any attempt at abrasive removal would result in a heat-welded mess.

You don't say where you're from but maybe if this post was was in the 'Work Wanted' section, some one local to you MAY poke it in his lathe and do the job in some 2 mins ??

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline JigGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:56 AM »
Thanks BC, I am actually from Vancouver, BC Canada.

We have ground this plastic rod without any melting in the past (I have sanded it & put it on a grinding wheel). The challenge is making it uniform all the way around.

We may need more than a one off if possible & trying to avoid custom rod prices if at all possible.

Thanks again, I appreciate the input.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »
If the dimensions are not too critical, I reckon it could be done with an electric drill (corded or cordless, but with variable speed so you can run it slowly), a file and some way of supporting the rod.

For the supports, make up a baseplate with two uprights, about 2.25" apart, each with a 3/8" hole in it. Start with just over 33" of rod, and pass it through the holes so it will rotate. Power the rod's outer end with the drill, and use a file followed by emery paper (and then metal polish if you need a smooth surface) to reduce its diameter between the uprights. Once you have got it down to your "0.345" or so", cut the unwanted bit off the end so you are left with 2" of the reduced diameter.

Some lube in the crude 3/8" bearings would help, and might stop them marking the plastic too much. But oil or grease sometimes makes wood swell sightly, which might cause binding, so if you use wooden uprights, a wax-based furniture polish might be a better choice. If you can find some aluminium say 1/2" thick, that would be a better option for the uprights, though it might involve you in unwanted metalwork in fastening the uprights to the base.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Apologies for my following bit of stupidity.

If a short length of bevel would work I would say stick it in an old fashioned crank pencil sharpener (one that works with the BIG kindergarten pencils)  give it a few cranks then polish/file to desired surface finish. I have a silly idea for reducing the diameter also. Let me see if I can figure out a drawing program and I will post something. (don't hold your breath on that though)

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
If the rod is actually .375" (3/8") you could mount a couple of R-6 bearings on a board to keep it aligned and use sandpaper to taper the end. The rod can be driven with an electric drill. The sandpaper can be glued to a flat piece of material.

The R-6 bearings are very inexpensive as can be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-R6-2RS-Premium-EMQ-seal-bearing-3-8-x-7-8-x-9-32-/130559614441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e65f59de9#ht_967wt_902

Joe

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
I live in the same Province and may be able to help.  Please see PM I sent you.

John.

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »
Excuse my first run with Google Sketchup.

Drill a 3/8 hole through some thick plywood. Take a piece of scrap steel (does not need to be thick) and grind a cutting edge on it. Mount the cutter to the back of the board. Make sure the cutting edge is aligned with the center point of the hole. You can chuck the rod into a drill and feed it into the hole. You can make a backstop to stop the cutting at the desired depth. I would only try this if you plan on a production run, a bit useless for a one off.

To be honest I am not sure how well this would work. I have limited machining skills. Hopefully some of the more experienced members will be able to chime in on how feasible an idea this is.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
To be honest I am not sure how well this would work. I have limited machining skills. Hopefully some of the more experienced members will be able to chime in on how feasible an idea this is.

You may have limited machining skills, but what you've just described is a simplified version of a swiss-type lathe.  Very creative solution!

0:20 to 0:40 illustrates the idea.

If this were combined with the earlier suggestion of using a bearing (wouldn't need to be a ball bearing even) then the results could be quite accurate.

The obvious answer would be a lathe, but I'm picturing almost 30" of extra rod sticking through the backside of the chuck and whipping around like crazy.  Also, turning 2" length from 3/8" plastic rod might prove difficult on a traditional lathe because of the total lack of rigidity.

Offline JigGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 07:33:42 PM »
Wow, you are all so helpful & giving with your ideas & thoughts. Thank you so much, I will share some of these concepts with my father & see what we can come up with. He was an aircraft engineer/mechanic in the past so he will understand some of the concepts & how to achieve this better than I (he is now 80 years old). I will post back on our success or failures on this project.

If we are unable to do make the jig ourselves we will look to work with a local shop (I will check my PM's) to get something going. Half of the fun is trying to see if you can do/make it together (even with others great help, designs & suggestions... thank you ;-).

Thank you all again for your time, suggestions & support. You assistance with this project is greatly appreciated & it so awesome to see a group of people openly & freely share information & ideas. 

Can I ask a one more question please, what could we expect to pay (hourly) on average if we needed help with a jig of some kind & please share your recommendations on how to find the right one for your job (or any links to some good info on this subject).

Thank you all again. With gratitude ~ JG

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
JG,

The companies for whom I do design/development work in the Vancouver & Victoria areas were (as of a year ago) sending work to shops in Washington State both from cost & schedule standpoints.  Purely manual machine shops are billing their time in the $40-$60/hour range here in the Puget Sound region.  CNC shops spread from about $50/hour up to $300/hour depending on various factors -- with most congregating in the $75-$120/hour region.

I hope this helps.