Author Topic: New GO704 mill.  (Read 17147 times)

Offline websterz

New GO704 mill.
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
 :proj: I am currently making the requisite mods to my new mill, starting with the 3 bolt mod on the head and power feed. I decided to take the short route and buy the commercially available power feed rather than build my own this time. I am just wondering who the #$%^ designed the damn power feed ??!!  :smart: :bang: You need fingers with 3 extra joints to reach up inside the housing and bolt it to the mill table!  :scratch:  I fought the thing for over an hour, lost the leadscrew key, and came really close to throwing the whole mess out the door. Luckily my MadModder genes kicked in and I started actually thinking about the problem. Knuckle-deep in blue Chinese mystery grease fighting a SHCS with no texture to help get a grip, deep inside a space half the size of the inside of a gumball is a losing proposition. I re-tapped the metric holes in the table to a more sensible 1/4-20, firmly seated the longest bolts I had into the holes, and cut the heads off.  :dremel: Instant studs!!  :thumbup: Now I don't have to hold the damn PF up with one hand, align the holes with the other, and juggle the impossible slippery bolts with...Jedi skills?. Lock washers and nuts go on easily and there is plenty of room for 1 finger and the 7/16" open-end wrench. An hour and a half later and I am making chips under power.  :D Now to make the belt drive...and the tram adjusters...and the chip shield...and the work light...and the table covers...and the collet rack... :doh:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline ozzie46

Re: New GO704 mill.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »

I,d like your impressions of this mill "out of the box", as I,m thinking about ordering one also.

I already have the G0704 website bookmarked for examination.

Will be watching this closely.

Ron

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
You probably have the design for a tramming aid in mind but if not you might find the one I made helpful. I made the three bolt mod first but still had trouble keeping the tram as I tightened the bolts. With the aid that is no longer a problem. I can now push that last half a thousandth and hold it there as I snug up the bolts. Here is the sketch.

And how it looks on the mill.

Don,

The bad news is that the three bolt mod is an absolute must if you expect to hold tram. The good news is that there are two "Tee" bolts that come with the mill which are the exact size needed. (They could be a bit shorter though)

Joe

Offline websterz

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
Out of the box I am quite impressed with the 704. I am a 15 year career machinist (now disabled) and for the past 2 years I have been heavily modding and using a Seig x2 mini mill so the 704 is a pretty good improvement. The 704 feels very solid to me. I credit the use of tapered gibs for that. The gibs were CLOSE to proper adjustment but not quite where I wanted them. After a quick cleanup with kerosene and some old rags it took maybe 5 minutes to adjust everything to my liking. The machine has a light coating of cosmoline on the unpainted surfaces, a nice change from the thick red crap that you get on Seig's machines. Cleaning the 704 was a pleasure.  :D

My biggest complaint is the lack of high end speed. I use carbide end mills almost exclusively and 2200 is just not fast enough for some of the smaller tools. That shortcoming will be corrected with the belt drive conversion though.

The 3 bolt mod was easy enough and really makes the machine solid. The only issue I had doing the mod was the lack of T bolts. See, I am an idiot and I had already cut the supplied bolts down to use for mounting my vise.  :doh:  So I had to spend a few minutes cutting down and shaping some T nuts to make replacement bolts with. It all worked out though. I have a 100+ pound slab of stainless that I am going to put in the bottom of the cabinet to help dampen things down a bit. I may toss a few bags of lead shot in there too. I don't plan to use the cabinet for tool storage as it is so low to the floor. I might as well get SOME use out of it.

Pics and more mods to follow. I have been away from this place far too long and I have some catching up to do.

Thanks for the tramming aid plans 75Plus. I usually don't mind bodging things together myself but will use someone else's plans when the opportunity presents itself.  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
Speaking of stability, I made up an angle iron frame to set the cabinet on. I needed more height so that helped there also. I will try to get a picture and post it tomorrow.

Joe

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
You got a new mill! How awesome is that. I really like the G0704... so I am very interested in see how you like and the mods you do. Maybe after I finish the CNC overhaul I will sell of my X2 and buy one (if I have the room!)

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

Thanks for the first impressions.

Ron

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »
I mounted my mill on a 3" angle iron platform 25/ 14 X 17". (I had a long piece of 3" angle so I made maximum use of it.) It raised the mill to a better working level for my height and added 9 1/2" in width to the footprint. It also provides leveling capability. After a year of use I have found no reason to bolt it to the floor.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
 75plus,  May I be so bold as to ask how tall you are?

I,m 6 ft and was wondering if this would be a good idea for me. I can't stoop over for very long as my back will give me fits.

Ron

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
Ron,

I am 6'1" and have had a back problem for 50+ years. Out of the box the G0704 table height is 37 1/2". Adding the additional 3 inches has allowed me to spend a lot more time at the mill.

BTW, kitchen counters are 36" high and they were designed for the "shorter sex"  :lol:  :lol:

Joe

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

Thanks Joe,

Yeah SWMBO is 5ft 11 and has a little stool in the kitchen.  :D :D

Ron

Offline websterz

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »
I gave up on the stand today. It just wasn't going to work out with my shop layout so I dismantled the old x2 and moved the new mill onto the bench. That went so well I decided to go ahead and mount the x axis DRO. Nothing special, just an iGaging unit. The locking levers for the x axis were pushing the scale up just enough for the vise to hit the read head so I swapped them out with the higher quality ones I had used on my x2. The shanks were just small enough to allow the scale to drop and clear the bottom of my vise. Tomorrow I am working on the power feed for the mill head. Cranking that damn handle up and down isn't working out for me...I like to sit while I work and that puts the handwheel out of reach.  :Doh: My plan is to use a 3/8" VSR drill and a 90* drill head to power the ballscrew. With the mill mounted on my bench I will be able to build a mount on the bench itself to hold the drill assembly stationary rather than having to attach it to the column of the mill. I don't get all paranoid about drilling and tapping holes in my machines but if I don't HAVE to I won't.

Offline steamman

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »
Hi any chance of some photos of your digital read out installation I am in the process of putting DRO's on my mill and any ideas would be welcome.Thanks

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 07:18:24 AM »

I don't know what I was thinking,Wife is 4ft 11 not 5ft 11.   :doh: :doh: :doh:

Ron

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:43:53 AM »
Here are a couple of project logs of the installation of IGaging readouts on a G0704 and an Enco mill.

Joe

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6512.0

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6526.0

Offline puretexan

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Ok I'm new here and I figure its better to add to an old post than start another.
I bought a g0704 and really am wondering about the plastic gear breaking. I tear stuff up on a regular basis and ,I tried ordering an extra with my machine, but Grizzly has them back ordered. Now if I had the talent to run a mill, I would order a
set of plans and build a belt drive. I'm surprised someone has not come up with a
supply of these gears. I would think they would sell like hotcakes. I haven't broken mine yet , but I would buy a couple. Heck if someone built a bolt on belt kit, I would be interested in one of them too.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »
Hoss machine in the USA has a lot of info on a belt drive conversion.......if you are inclined...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline puretexan

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
I have read all his posts. He will sell just the plans. I guess it was a pain to
actually produce it in kit form. The problem I have is I bought the machines,
but haven't learned to use them. I was a union bricklayer for 15 years. If you
went out and bought the tools and a pile of brick, I doubt if you could have
built anything with them. Same situation with me so far.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »
Assuming the power feeds this type http://www.warco.co.uk/302789-632-thickbox/milling-machine-power-feed.jpg
Much better to adapt the other drop down type fitted to larger machines. It wont interfere with the table or overhang either.

No machines perfect I find myself going through the process of selecting a replacement to no avail. Most top out around 2200rpm or less useless, or are too flimsy parts not available or just plainly over priced. ie motor £256 when whole machine was £850.
Think your just paying a premium for the variable speed on this GO704 machine where the much more robust GH/LUX/GO755 are cheaper over here and offer so much more but still limited. Even better the 626 but limited travel.

Just two off the shelf pulleys and a belt required to up the speed and retain torque. Would need pulleys machining to fit though.

Offline V 45

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
Older thread but wanted to show my mill base. Idea from 75 plus. Thanx Joe !!
 I used 4x4 tube steel 30" wide and 3' angle iron. My drawing is the word doc attatchment. Then put leveling pads on. By the way I'm 6'-2" and it fits great !!!
 Dave
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:29:02 PM by V 45 »