Author Topic: Shaper vice  (Read 4646 times)

Offline John Rudd

Shaper vice
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
Gents,

What type of vice do I need for my shaper shown here: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6707.0   in post 6 please?

Could I ask for your choice?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Shaper vice
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
John,
          I don't think that ONE vice will suit your needs. Perhaps my earlier suggestion was to access the Ian Bradley book does suggest a vice with the ability to rotate. Again, he suggests a toolmaker's small vice and goes on to various hold downs.

I no longer have my old Drummond but today, I was using FOUR of my vices and at one time, had a vice within a vice.
If you want to cut gears, you need to index them in a very different vice.

Earlier still, I recommended a 'freebie' which is Advanced Machine Work by Robert H Smith. There is a lot more on the subject of shapers and work holding- which I feel was your question.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Perhaps I should have been a bit more explicit...

For the moment I need a suitable vice that I can bolt to the table that is capable of holding material... :dremel:

Cutting gears is waaaayyyy down the line for me... :coffee:

My experience with machine tools is not that advanced...Jeezz...I barely know how to drill a hole let alone cut gears... :scratch:

Ok, your basic drillpress or bench drill vice is out.... :lol:

Something a bit more substantial I think is needed...

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
So John
              Print out the little Bradley book and put the 'Smith' on your hard drive- for reference.

Having said all that, there are lots of vices and the Vertex 4" isn't too bad as it swivels.  You will find that life is sometimes making things to hold down things. You can't have too many vices :bang: Who said that?
Cheers

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
I already own a Vertex K4 but that I think is a bit too big for my little shaper.......

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
Vertex do a proper shaper vice is 3 different sizes but even the smallest will be too big for your shaper. You should be looking at a vice will a jaw opening of the same size of your ram travel. However if you like most people end up using a milling vice then the a Vice of this size opening will properly be too large, so just get the largest milling vice you can fit..
Mike