Author Topic: Sieg SX3 DRO kit  (Read 19055 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Sieg SX3 DRO kit
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:09:22 PM »
I just placed an order for a DRO kit designed specifically for the SX3 mill. I looked at a number of the available options, such as Shumatec, Shooting Star and a few others. I finally settled on the kit offered by seller "toolssales" on Ebay and did the buy it now last night.

Most of the systems I looked at had resolutions of .001 - .0005 with repeatability of .001 inches. They ranged in prices from $600 to $1000.00 depending on the options they offered. At $500.00, plus shipping, this guy is offering a glass scale system, fitted to the SX3 with resolution to .00004 (.001 mm) with all the options available on the higher priced kits found elsewhere. His display is a 3 window 8 place system instead of the normal 3 x 7.

Let's see... high end components, higher resolution, more functions, cheaper price and no install mods required. I'll post more as the kit arrives and I begin the install. I just thought I'd share what appears to be one heck of a deal on DRO's.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Sieg SX3 DRO kit
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:00:48 PM »
Hi Steve Looks a mean bit of kit. :headbang:

I want to fit a DRO on my X3 in time (saveing the pennies). My new mill is landing this monday, I'm planning on posting the strip down and instalation.

Have fun :wave:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »
Stew
Looking forward to the thread, here. Every time I see one taken down I learn a bit more about them. I'm pretty sure you are going to love what it can do.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:27:37 PM »
Steve,

Having used glass scales from the mid 80's when I was in a production environment, I think you will find a total difference in them from the digital scales you have been using. But they do need to be set spot on if you want a trouble free system. I spent well over an hour with each axis to make sure they really did run true.

Another thing you will enjoy is the power off memory. Recently I have been having mine switched off for many days at a time. But come back, turn on and it is as though the machine has never been turned off. It should also track correctly if you have been playing with the handles while it has been turned off.

Methinks you are going to love playing with all the features on the box, especially the PCD feature. It almost does away with the RT for hole drilling.

Just enjoy.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:11:50 AM »
Bogster
Glad to hear I can expect it to improve on the experience. The idea of being able to hit the marks on the bolt circles was a big selling point. Now all I have to do is be patient while I await its arrival.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
Methinks this is deja vu, but in reverse.

:lol:        :lol:        :lol:      :lol:      :lol:      :lol:

Steve ain't got no DRO   Steve ain't got no DRO    neener  neener neener

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

For those that don't understand

Second post down on here.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2314.15

I said I would get my own back,     eventually

Bogs
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:10:24 PM by bogstandard »

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:18:34 AM »
Finally!!!!  I got myself motivated and finished up the DRO installation on the SX3. Thinned blood and cool temperatures made for scant motivation, but with the current 72° weather, I finally got her done.

The kit I ordered from Hong Kong actually surpassed my expectations for quality, not only for its fit and finish but the mass of the mounting hardware. This turned out to be a serious bit of kit which came with enough fasteners to do the job at least twice. I did decide to modify the X mount a bit, but the rest of the hardware required no changes for achieving a nice professional install.

With the pre-made brackets, the install was pretty straight forward, even in spite of the valiant effort made to confuse the issue with Chinenglish instructions and poor photos. The photo below shows the Z axis. Note the heavy cast bracket  used to secure the reader to the head. It made things much easier than it might have been.

This particular kit took into consideration that there might be a power feed installed and mounted the Y axis scale a bit lower than some I've seen. This proved to be a good move and no clearance or travel problems were encountered. Again.... well thought out brackets and hardware saved a lot of head scratching and fabrication.

The X axis scale was supposed to be mounted flush to the rear of the mill table, but I didn't want to loose the flat edge. I use the edges as datum points when I'm doing some set ups so loosing one was not going to happen if i could avoid it. As it turned out, the posts I had used on the old DRO install were exactly what the doctor ordered. I was able to stand the DRO off the back edge which made placing the reader mounting holes easier than the way the original instructions were indicating.

The display mounting hardware was a case of near rediculous over kill. The swing arm could support several pounds of dead weight..... but don't get me wrong.... I'm certainly not complaining. The display is chocked full of functions, some of which I'm sure I'll never use, but the others are very likely to make things a bit more fun.  It was nice to plug the unit in and watch it sequence though its diagnostics and then come up ready to run. No muss.... no fuss and no need to do any setup or calibrations.

I've already taken the time to check the scales with my trusty DTI and they are now within .001 or less of parallel to the line of travel for each axis. The protective plastic travel locks made a perfect spacer gauge so the readers are also right where they were made to travel. I'll be starting an engine project later this month and then I can add my observations on accuracy and such.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:48 AM »
Nice addition  :thumbup: that one bit of kit I will be fitting to my Seig.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »
Pure envy, very nice indeed  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
Nice job installing your DRO Steve.  I would be lost w/o mine.  I do miss the one I had on the Enco mill.  The Acu-rite I have on the Jet is nice but I miss some of the other features that were on the Mister (calculator, sdm).

Offline shoey51

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
nice addition there Steve :headbang:

Offline Barty

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 12:20:30 AM »
How is the DRO working out for you now that you have had it for a few months? I am thinking of buying the same unit off the same supplier, would you still recommend it?

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:14 AM »
Barty....
I'm hooked. It's been an absolute joy to use.

Steve

Offline Barty

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Thanks cedge. I will get in touch with them and put an order in.

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
Hi all

I purchased the same DRO as Steve (Cedge).

My problem is the Y axis sensor orientation. It is opposit to that described in the enclosed pic.

Is it possible to romove the sensor from the scale and reverse it?

If I leave it as it is I recon there will be too much strain on the connection.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks
Gordy
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
My Y Axis scale came configured that way too. It's a simple fix. Remove the cover and turn it around to exit the other way.

Steve

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »
Thanks Steve, thats done it!

Gordy
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.