Author Topic: A night out with the camera  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Scuba1

A night out with the camera
« on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
I made an extension tube for my 800mm tele lens and strapped it piggy back to my 5" reflector and took a few shots of the moon last night.

ATB

Michael

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: A night out with the camera
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
Very cool!

How about some pictures of the rig?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
I'll have to borrow a camera for that as my camera is sat on the top of the scope  :scratch: :scratch:

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
Nice I just love the photos  :clap: :clap:

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
Just  got back in and it was not as windy tonight

This is "Tycho" by the way, one of the larger craters on the moon and is visible using binoculars.
Diameter   86.21 km Depth 4.8 km

ATB

Michael

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
Love pictures of the moon. Love pictures of space period. Shared them with my son... he asked if you have more (he is 3!)

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
Don't have any more on this computer but will take some this week if the weather lets me and if not, I'll be home in a couple of weeks and will have a look through my files there.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
Right! That's just annoying!

Now I really want to get into SLRs and decent cameras/telescopes and learn how to use them.... That's just too damn cool  :jaw:

Always wanted to take my own moon photo's. (no.... Not that kind  :palm:) I know you can get the professional ones done but I want my own.

When this house gets sold I'm going to make a load of choices about what to do with the money (apart form a new house obviously!)  But one of the first fun ones will be a good camera and lenses.  :borg:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:05 PM »
For pictures like the ones above you don't need an expensive set up. A steady tripod with a bucket of sand hanging in the middle to keep it as still as possible is a good starting point. Any DSLR will do the job. Ok mine is a Nikon D300 but a entry level Canon or similar will do just fine as well. For these shots I used a cheap 800 mm f/8 mirror lens and made a extension tube for it that effectively turns it into a 2400 mm lens. Ok I mounted mine o the top of the telescope but you can for moon shots just use a normal tripod.
At the moment I am working on adapting a HD webcam so that I can fit it into the eye pice of my 5" reflector telescope for planetary and deep space imaging and that should turn out some good results when i finish it.
If you know in what direction to look, you can actually have some fun with just a pair of binoculars and make out the rings of saturn and some of the larger moons of jupiter. Jupiter is just above the horizon due west at the moment  :thumbup: have a look around the net as there is some free software around that will give you an idea as to what you can find where and at what times.
If you rather just look at pictures of our planets and deep space that have been taken by hobby astronomers then have a look on Astrobin .......the photobucket of the looking up folks
http://www.astrobin.com/

ATB

Michael