Author Topic: Steve Bedair's Ball turner  (Read 9457 times)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Steve Bedair's Ball turner
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
Hi,
   I would like to ask a few questions if I may, mainly on the Steve Bedair type.

Ralph (divided he ad) I see you have used different insert tips in yours, just wondering which you prefer.

If any one else wishes to chip in please do.  :thumbup:  It would be interesting to see what different tips are used.

I’m just bluudy nosey that’s all :) :) :)

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline John Rudd

Re: Steve Bedair's Ball turner
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

If any one else wishes to chip in please do. 

DaveH

I used the standard tcmt shaped tip on mine...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline MadNick

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
Dave,

Ive got some HSS steel that I intend to make my own cutting tools from.

Id like to use the CCMT tips eventually - will let you know.

Nick

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
I use a 1/4" round solid carbide bit.  It was originally used to scribe thin lines, but the point got chipped, so the toolmaker rounded it off (looks like a standard D bit now) and gave it to me.

Make a ball turner, if for nothing else because it's fun to turn spheres. 
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline DaveH

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Make a ball turner, if for nothing else because it's fun to turn spheres. 

:D Good idea,  although I do have one, but not a Steve Bedair type one.

I'm interested in the tips used,  Also the bearing surfaces and how to stop the little bits getting in?
Why the thrust washer didn't work?

DaveH

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

DaveH

Perhaps acting as a Squash plate?
My Clarkson radius attachment- which works,  has ball races but not,repeat not like that.
My other rotary tables such as the one on  the Quorn, the Stent and two or more conventional tables have much larger bearing surfaces.
George Thomas in his discourse on four tool turrets explained it all in simple terms. He fitted a cone plate ratchet- following Herbert Combination Turret lathes standard practice which he had used in his engineering works.

As for the tool bit shape ,  I think that he and Jack Radford differed.

Anyway, it has all been kicking about since 1967 when it started to appear in Model Engineer! It isn't new.
We are talking about Thirty Quid. A quarter of a tank of fuel.

Regards

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »
Dave,

All I can do is tell you that mine has never let me down and only been adjusted once on nearly 5 years. Engine oil into the edge at the top and it's always been fine. I think the lapping makes a huge difference.

The tips I got from e-blag. 

I've cut everything upto and including stainless without much issue. I wanted convex and concave turning and that's what these gave me.

I could bore you with hundreds of photo's of things I've made with mine, Here's just the one... All in stainless.

let me know if you want to see any more  :)

Bearings will no doubt work as long as you can set them up properly and you keep them in good order.
The Bedair design I used and adapted is very solid and just simply, works well.

My main adaptations are a double step on the turret into the base (triple if you count the spigot where the bolt threads into) and the single fixing double sided tip.

I've got hundreds of pic's of the mini ball turner build and quite a few of my (made for the job) ball turner. if you want any just ask.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
I'm interested in the tips used,  Also the bearing surfaces and how to stop the little bits getting in?

Mine, I didn't even turn the pocket on the base, nor the round part on the bottom of the piece that fits into it.  I simply put a piece of teflon sheet between the two, and tightened down the screw.  A bit of light oil, and it turns smooth, with no place for chips to get underneath.  I don't think it really needs any kind of bearing at all.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline DaveH

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
Fergus, thank you for your reply - sadly I don't have much idea about what you are saying  :Doh:  :Doh:  :Doh: may be I have been here to long  :lol:

Rleete, Thanks - How thick (roughly) is the Teflon ?

Ralph, Thanks, I have seen the "Mini ball turner" post,  I haven't seen the one (made for the job) ball turner - which I wouldn't mind seeing if it isn't too much trouble. (Or did you post it?)

And one more thing Please Ralph, I saw on one post you used a round insert (RCMT) do you still use them?

Sorry guys for all the questions, and although I have a ball turner I'm  thinking of making one to Steve's design.

What has stopped me in the past I don't have any T slots on my cross slide, so it would mean drilling and taping 4 holes directly in to the cross slide. Something I've never been too keen to do.

DaveH

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
Hi Dave,

The round insert is still in my arsenal.... Not used a lot really. The original tip is so good I just don't think about it much.
It was devised in order to leave a neat collar section.

Plan was to add the larger version of the round tips to create a larger dia shaft with much more rigidity too.... Never got there. somewhere down on the tuit list!

This is the post http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=282.msg31450#msg31450

Half way or so down there are pictures of my ball turner... I call it "made for the job" cause I didn't really style it in anyway... It's purely functional.

As said, any pic's you need I can sort out. If they're not on my computer now, my new workshop camera's here (44 notes worth of HD filming DSC-W350 cybershot loverlyness that works a treat) and the workshop is only a stones throw away  :thumbup:

Little camera gloat in there.... Couldn't help it  :D

Ralph.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline DaveH

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Thanks Ralph,

I will have to have a good look and read.
DaveH

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »
Dave, this is the turner I made to fit on my 7x12 lathe. You may find something you can use from it.
The turner attaches to the swivel plate that the top slide mounts to. While not shown in the sketches there are two holes through the turret, under the tool holder, to allow access to two captive screws that  screw into the swivel plate. These access holes were supposed to be covered by the tool holder so no swarf can enter. In operation I found that at some settings one of the holes could be partially
uncovered so I tapped them so a short grub screw can be fitted. I have had good results with this design.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2938.msg31681#msg31681

Joe

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 05:12:02 AM »
I've just lifted my diamond tooled one off a shelf. Made, I have to laughingly remark, by the Coventry Gauge and Tool Co Ltd who probably made it to make Rolls Royce Merlins or Griffon engines.

Life gets tedious- don't it?