Author Topic: Chester Cub headstock oil recomendation  (Read 4136 times)

Offline pipemakermike

• Mike Nelsons web page
Chester Cub headstock oil recomendation
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »
I am close tohaving the Cub in running order and it looks as though the headstock could do with some oil in it before I start to run it.  I could do with some recomendations.  I can get hydraulic oil locally :-
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/range/large/0542.jpg
but is this OK to use in a geared head lathe?
Regards

Mike

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Chester Cub headstock oil recomendation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:30:46 AM »
There's a Chester UK Forum with quite a bit on oils. Importantly, from Chester itself.

Looks like SAE 40 is the stuff . However, read it up.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
I would be very very weiry as the Machine Mart doesnt state what the viscosity is.

Since they are prety much copies of Harrison and Colchester who recommend in general Hy68 for most things inc head, gearbox and apron.
Sure i only payed £14 delivered next day from Smith and Allan for 5 ltrs, cheap so had two 5 ltr a 32 for slides and 68 as a top up to previous bought. 68 in the geared head mill as well.
Earlier Harrisons the red ATF was recommended and seemed about a similar or mid viscosity.

Offline pipemakermike

• Mike Nelsons web page
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I am still a bit in the dark.

Can I assume that the "32" and the "68" in the oil name refer to some measure of viscosity?
Now, Chester say "We use atm a SAE30/32 oil, but are in the process of swapping to a SAE40 oil"
So. my choices would seem to be anything from HVI 32, HVI 37,HVI 46 or HVI 68
The lath is not likely to get long heavy use so would a thinner oil be better e.g. the HVI 32?

Another question, probably better put on the Chester forum, is how much the headstock contains.
Regards

Mike

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:59:24 PM »
In that region would be fine, preferably something that dont froth like Chester use.

I have used what turns out to be same mix and ingredients as ATF in a manual car gearbox which recommends SAE 80, was still good at 137K. Expensive Amsoil.

It will be more than a litre in the CUB. The hydraulic32 variants can also be used for slideway and other bearing lubrication points, bear that in mind. Unscientific i reckon ATF is close so whatever is a good deal.
The thinner the viscosity the runnier at all temps. Multi temp car stuff ie 0W/30W flows easier when cold but still retains its 30W when at optimum temp. Thicker would be better for the cogs, offering less wear as a barrier is put in between and still ok for the open head bearings and gearbox.

Wouldnt get too critical over viscosities 32 to 68 fine.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Hi
I used ATF (automatic transmission oil) in my colchester bantam)
If it can lube a auto gearbox a lathe headstock should be no problem
Being red in colour means you can see the leaks easier  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
Hi All
When i used to work on maintenance we used to use Shell Telus 32 for Harrison and Colchester headstock gearboxes.

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW