Author Topic: compact 8 lathe  (Read 9011 times)

Offline krv3000

compact 8 lathe
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
HI all I'm having a blond moment I can not figure out the pcd for the 3 fixing screws I need this for to mack up a back plate for mi new 4 jaw chuck  can any one help

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: compact 8 lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
A 4 jaw is very likely to have four fixing screws. Can you measure across the diagonal ?

If you do have three equally spaced fixings: The radius of the circumscribed circle is R=sqrt(3)/3* a  where a is the distance between any two fixings.

I.E. measure the centre of two fixings = a
PCD is approximately 1.1547  x a

Bill

Bill

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
No its the three screws that mount the backing plate to the spindle & there is also a stub taper.

J

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
Right... how I'd do it, right or wrong! I assume you can't get the info online or from the folks at Enco?

Start out by getting a couple of socket-head (allen) screws that fit in the threads on your existing chuck, screw 'em in and  measure across the outside of the unthreaded bit, note that measurement down, measure the inside, note that down.

Do this on all 3 hole-to-hole sides of the triangle, add 'em up and divide by three to get the average inside and outside  measurements, then add inside and outside and divide by2 to get the centre-to-centre distance (the side of the triangle) - the averaging is 'cos the hole centres may not be accurate :) Usually this'll give very close to a Sensible Number, like 120mm, 95mm or similar...

Once you have the centre-to-centre distance, divide by the square root of 3 to get the pitch radius, double that for the diameter and Robert's your parent's sibling! If you have a hole in your piece of plate, make a "spud" to fit in it, and *while still chucked from turning* run in a centre drill to give somewhere for you dividers to pivot while you mark the PCD.

To get the taper angle right, measure height of the stub *accurately* (height gauge, sticky-out-bit on digi calipers etc.), and the difference between the fat and thin ends of the taper - the difference divided by the height will give the tan of the *included* angle of the taper, you need to set the topslide around through half this angle to get close to the taper.

Once you've set the topslide, make a taper on a piece of scrap, longer than you think you need, with an undersize little end - try it for fit, then face off the little end until you get a snug fit in the back of the chuck you already have - then it's marking blue time, to prove whether the angle's spot on, adjusting the topslide if needed, facing off the small end if it's too small.

Once you have it right, keep this plug gauge safe! Your topslide's set to the right angle,  so leave it where it is and chuck your  backplate-to-be  and take a facing cut using the cross-slide then bore an undersize recess for the taper using the carriage feed, and putting on the cut (upside down boring bar on the far side of the hole) outwards from the central hole using the topslide.

Once you're close, use the (angled) topslide to cut the taper, fine cuts, testing with marking blue, until you get a good fit. Once it fits, use strips of silver fag paper as 1/2 thou" feeler gauges and take *really* fine cuts (or polish it with emery paper) until the strips are trapped between the spindle nose and the backplate - once you've reached this point,  you can bolt it on the right way round, face it, cut the register to fit your new 4-jaw and you're done :)

Hope that makes sense, and helps rather than confuses!
Dave H.
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
posting error - sorry
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
Start out by getting a couple of socket-head (allen) screws that fit in the threads on your existing chuck, screw 'em in and  measure across the outside of the unthreaded bit, note that measurement down, measure the inside, note that down.
Good idea, but if you use a couple of taps (say second-cut and finishing) screwed into the holes, you can get a better measurement across the tap shafts (the shafts are usually ground fairly accurately to the same diameter). Just remember to subtract the shaft diameter (or just zero your digital scale while measuring one of the taps)

Bill
Bill

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
HI its not a enco its a emco  enco do a copy of this lathe

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:41 AM »
As I said elsewhere use one of your existing backplates that already has the studs in it and measure accross two of them, I think you should get a reading of 62.56mm which if the studs are an exact 8mm (for M8) will give stud centres of 54.56, thus the  PCD works out at 63mm.

The nose taper is a fraction over 7degrees.

J

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
HI thanks jasonb

Offline melgump

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
I am also in the throes of making a back plate for a face plate for my lathe. I know the angle of my stub is 7 degrees,7 minutes & 30 secs. `cos it says so in the manual. However, a mate of mine,who happens to be a toolmaker, suggested a way of getting the top slide at the right angle. He suggested fixing a dial indicator to the top slide, I am doing so using a magnetic base, so the indicator tip can run from front to rear of the taper at centre height. One then adjusts the top slide angle until the needle is motionless, then the angle is correct. Sounds logical to me, I think! That is as far as I`ve got so far. My taper stub is approx. 12 m.m. long, so I`m hoping this is enough length to get an accurate indication.
Cheers,
Ray.

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 03:05:09 AM »
That should be enough but the compact 8 taper is only 4-5mm long though based on the same DIN standard as yours so has the same angle.

J

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
HI well i made up a taper blank this was dun by a trial and era bases its not the first time i have made a backing plate for this lathe the first thing i mad for it was a face plate than a backing plate for a chuck that i got off fleebay but until i found that one of the studs on the original chuck was bent me measuring did not line up thanks to all that helped  regards bob

Offline Pete.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
I am also in the throes of making a back plate for a face plate for my lathe. I know the angle of my stub is 7 degrees,7 minutes & 30 secs. `cos it says so in the manual. However, a mate of mine,who happens to be a toolmaker, suggested a way of getting the top slide at the right angle. He suggested fixing a dial indicator to the top slide, I am doing so using a magnetic base, so the indicator tip can run from front to rear of the taper at centre height. One then adjusts the top slide angle until the needle is motionless, then the angle is correct. Sounds logical to me, I think! That is as far as I`ve got so far. My taper stub is approx. 12 m.m. long, so I`m hoping this is enough length to get an accurate indication.
Cheers,
Ray.

Yes, that is how I did mine but you absolutely must make sure that the dial is dead smack on the center height or it will read the angle wrong. Same goes for the tool you use to cut the taper. Put a piece in the 3-jaw, turn a very sharp point on it and line up the dial with the tip of the point. Now both the dial and the tool are right on the center height.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
yep its all dun

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
HI all just a heads up I'm still on the hunt for a compound slide for me lathe