Author Topic: Prema type 0 metal shaper  (Read 5166 times)

Offline crystallattice

Prema type 0 metal shaper
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:18:43 AM »
Hi Guys,

Just bought a Prema nr 409 type 0 shaper. Can anyone help with more info? I tried to register on the Practical Machinist site, as I see there was quite a bit of Prema discussion, but was rejected?

Anyways, the machine is in good nick. Has two gear speeds and two pulley speeds. Horizontal and vertical feeds which can be engaged at the same time. Not sure what the significance is of this but recall someone who was disappointed that his machine could not do this. Knee can swivel but not tilt. The ram seems to have a max travel of about 10" but 9" looks to be a safer option with less risk of striking anything. It came with a vise which can swivel but not sure if it is a propper shaper vise.

I fired it up and seems to run nicely although the clutch does still grip a bit when disengaged. Think it might be a bit of rust in the drum or the spring mechanism might just be a bit stiff. Will try and do something usefull with it the weekend. Only paid about $190 for it which I think was quite fair.

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Prema type 0 metal shaper
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:26:11 AM »
Hi

Thats looks the buisness, the vice is for a shaper, as it runs I would say give it a clean and a good oiling and start to make something, one or two of the guys on her have used shapers, so do a bit of searching to see what they have been up to.

Also as your a new member tell us a bit about yourself what sort of stuff are you into, a few project pics would be welcome.

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »
Hi
Horizontal and vertical feeds which can be engaged at the same time.
Are you sure about this? I can see only one feed arm. Normally to cut at an angle you will rotate the table.

Mike

Offline crystallattice

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
Hi Again,

I saw a nice toolholder which will need the shaper itself to make so that will probably be one of the first projects for the shaper. Other machine projects completed are too small and numerous to mention but the most recent one was to make a bushing + flange to hold a hydraulic ram for a press I built. It was quite a big job as it involved a lot of material removal, boring and cutting internal threads which was a first and also a lot of tight tolerances and a press fit.. It also involved using the faceplate to face off the flange.

I actually studied electrical engineering but always had a love for mechanical things as my father was an instrument maker (amongst many other things he did)

The two feeds are linked by the half gears so driving the one automatically drives the other if the ratchet is engaged - look at picture 4 (CDC-2000-IF-3 001.jpg ) and you will see what I mean. I've attached an edited pic to show the critical parts.

Regards

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
Everyone should have a shaper!  Mine is only a very tiny bench top Adept 2 but it is my favourite machine tool.

They are not a substitute for a mill but they do some home shop jobs especially well and one of those is cleaning up old scrap metal by ripping layers of rust off unknownium without endangering expensive milling cutters, for example.

Your scraper will make a very nice finish of flat surfaces and you do not have to stand over it or wind feed handles like you would while using a typical home shop mill. 

They do take a little while to learn how to use effectively and despite their benighn appearance even a small one like mine could take a few fingers off without pausing and no doubt bigger ones would not hesitate to rip off an arm,  be careful, be safe, have fun. :D
From the den of The Artful Bodger