Author Topic: ogan Lathe motor issues-need help  (Read 2532 times)

Offline DrPatron

ogan Lathe motor issues-need help
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
I think the motor on my Logan Lathe (11"x36") is dying, lacks,  power and is heating up.  It's kind of like me -old and tired I need to find a repacement. The original is a 1/2 horsepower.  Don't what kind to buy, needs to be reversable and don't know how to wire it that way.  Any help appreciated

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: ogan Lathe motor issues-need help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:07:36 AM »
Hi DrParton,

I have a Logan lathe. I needed to gear a gear for at one time and contacted Scott Logan at Logan Actuator Co. They are still in buisness.

Contact Scott at sales@lathe.com  Their web site is www.lathe.com

It's a place to start anyway. Scott's very helpful and freindly. Hope this helped.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
Hi Dr,
If this is Some Years Old and single-phase (i.e 110 / 220 volt), it might be worth swapping the motor capacitor/s before shelling out on a new motor - getting hot, lacking torque, poor starting too?

The cap/s will be tin can shaped, probably under a cover or clamped on the outside of the motor, should be marked with the capacitance and voltage. Your nearest motor shop is likely to stock them for a few Local Currency Units each.

Also, making an assumption, it may have a centrifugal switch for the start capacitor and it may be stuck - you should hear a clunk as it slows after switchoff if it has one, they soimetimes stick for no readily apparent reason!

Just my ha'pennorth,
Dave H.
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline DrPatron

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
thanks for the help Guys. I'll post what I find out-Drp