Author Topic: Inside-Out Steam Engine  (Read 27287 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Inside-Out Steam Engine
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »
I ran across this video on youtube and was impressed with the way it runs and sounds.  Also liked all the movement so thought I'd take a whack at making something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4UrQFhxf7A

This is a drawing of what I have so far.  Not complete, but gives you a good idea of what I'm aiming for.

So far I've got the flywheel turned and the 2 cylinders made.  The latter are made from aluminum tubing, 1 1/16" OD x 15/16" ID.  The flywheel is from Martin Models and is 5.5" diameter.

Chuck

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Inside-Out Steam Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:16:29 PM »
This projet will be very fun to folow :D

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »
A very interesting engine Chuck, looking forward to the build.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:00:40 AM »
That's a very interesting engine, Chuck!   :bugeye:

Should look very impressive, as a twin.  :thumbup:

I'll be watching your progress........

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:37:52 AM »
That looks good Chuck.  :clap:

John

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »
I've got to say, Chuck, that is one of the more interesting engines I've ever seen, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you reproduce it, and watch and listen to it run. :beer:  Cheers, mad jack

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
Looks to be the same principal of one of Anthony Mounts models, the Bodmer's sliding Cylinder Engine, will be interesting to see how you tackle the valving.

You may find this build of the model useful
http://dampfundmehr.de/menu/bodmer

J

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
Thanks everyone.

The original engine shown in the video uses rotary valves in the crankshaft.  In my engine, the valving will be operated by the cylinder.  As it moves from one end to the other, it will push the piston and the hollow piston support shaft left and right to alternately connect one end and the other with the air supply coming up through the end supports.  Although not shown, I will have to install stops on each end to limit the axial travel of the piston support shaft.

Here is a picture showing my current plan for the air supply and valve operation.  I have some concerns about my ability to get the piston support shafts to move freely left and right and still seal well in the end supports.  Have to see how that goes.  My engine will be reversible, and, although it should be self starting, I'm guessing it will always start in the same direction it was last going. 

Chuck

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
I like this concept this should prove to be nice little engine and with 2 cylinders opposing each other it should be a good smooth runner.
Nice concept should be very interesting!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I may be wrong, but it looks like the cylinder may have more mass than the piston of a conventional engine of similar bore/stroke. Will that necessitate* a bigger flywheel to help it over TDC and BDC?

* that took a bit of spelling at  1.30am

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
I got some more work done on my engine yesterday and today.  I've been working on the design as well as some house projects, so haven't spent much time in the shop lately.  Hopefully I can start getting really serious about this engine.

Here is the engine base.  It's a piece of aluminum about 8" long, 2.25" wide, and used to be about 3/8" thick.  However, it had a bit of a bow in it, so I flattened both sides with a flycutter in my end mill.  It's now about .335" thick, but it is nice and flat.  I will probably cut down the length some.

Here are the cylinder assembly support blocks.  I gang drilled the holes to make sure they were in as perfect alignment as I could get them.  They are 2" wide, 1.375" tall, and 3/4" thick.

Here is a partial assembly of what I have so far.  The cylinder support rods are 3/8" diameter.  Probably could have gotten by with smaller rods, but didn't want to push it.  I'm quite happy with the alignment and the fit of the cylinder support rods... nice, close sliding fit.  We'll see if that's still the situation after I screw the end blocks to the base plate...  :-\

Next, I will fasten the cylinder support blocks to the base plate.  Once I get all the air passages and mounting holes drilled in the end blocks, I may mill them down some so they don't look so "blocky".

Chuck

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
Good start Chuck

I'm watching this one closely

Stew

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Thanks, Stew.

I did a bit of head scratching today, trying to figure out how lash up the base plate and two cylinder support blocks so I could drill and tap the holes to hold them together.  In the end, I mixed up a little bit of 5 minute epoxy and spread a very thin layer on the bottom of each cylinder support block.  I placed the two cylinder support rods in the end blocks then carefully positioned the assembly on the base plate getting everything squared up, aligned and the right positioning.  Then I just let the epoxy harden.  After about an hour, the epoxy was nice and firm and the cylinder support rods still slid freely back and forth in the support blocks.  So far, so good.  I had already laid out and drilled the holes in the base plate, so now, I flipped the assembly over and drilled the pilot holes into the support blocks.  After enlarging the holes in the base plate, I tapped all 4 holes 6-32 7/8" deep.  I put in the cap screws, snugged them down then tested the fit of the cylinder support rods again.  Everything still slides freely.

I'm a little concerned that if I take the screws out, break the epoxy bond and scrape off the epoxy, it might throw off the alignment enough to make the rods bind, but, as long as I don't have to, I won't take it apart.  For now, I feel like I got the hard parts done.

Chuck

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 04:26:40 AM »
You could fit location pins Chuck. That would align the parts for reassembly.

John

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
You could fit location pins Chuck. That would align the parts for reassembly.

John

Yeah, I had thought of that.  I'm more concerned about the blocks tipping every so slightly if I scrape the epoxy off.  Might not be problem...

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
Today I completed work on the cylinder support rods.  The first task was to cut the grooves in the end of each rod.  The grooves allow passage of the air regardless of how the rod rotates.  I used a 1/8" cutoff tool and cut the grooves .050" deep.  I realized later that they really only needed to be about .030" deep but, what's done is done.

Next, I drilled the center holes, 1/8" diameter and 2.875" deep from each end.  I was a little nervous about drilling that small a hole that deep, but it was uneventful.  I backed the bit out about every 1/16" to clear the chips. I used a standard length bit to drill as far as I could, but had to use a longer bit to drill the last 1/2" or so.  Yup, that's a 12" long x 1/8" drill bit I'm using there.  I bought it at Home Depot and I did have to sharpen it before I could use it!  Guess I'll have to break down and buy a set of extra long aircraft bits one of these days. 

Here's a picture of both rods with all 4 center holes drilled.

Finally, I drilled the radial port holes in both ends and one on either side of the piston in the middle.

Before the engine is completed, I'll have to plug the ends of the center holes, probably with something resembling a rivet.  I'm planning to just use Loctite.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
After lots of noodling, Thanksgiving, and seemingly endless honey-do items, I got back out in the shop today and made some chips.  In fairness to SWMBO, I was kind of stuck on a couple of design issues so probably wouldn't have made much progress anyway!   :-\

I decided to change the cylinder material from the thin walled aluminum to thicker walled brass.  I was originally going to put screws through the side of the cylinder into the heads, but decided the convention method of screwing through the head into the end of the cylinder made more sense.  So, I turned the brass cylinders from 1.125" brass rod.  The heads are also turned from 1.125" brass rod.  I will probably do some further shaping to the cylinder and perhaps the head at a later time.  

I also made an aluminum crosshead guide that will fasten flat to the base.  The crosshead will be comprised of either blocks or round rollers attached to the cylinder that fit into the slots in the guide.

Here are some pictures of the parts and partially assembled.

Chuck

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
very cool Chuck, can't not watch this one!  :clap:

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
Work has been slow on this engine, mostly because I've been working on design issues.  I'm trying to come up with an engine that will look good with nice proportions and not look like a bunch of parts just bolted together.  Consequently, it has been kind of tough.

I did build and fit the pistons, added the cross head bearings and the connecting rod bosses to the cylinders, and made a steel base to hold both the cylinder assembly and the flywheel assembly.  I plan to weld milled angle iron around the steel bed-plate to form the base.  The other hurdle before me is to design the flywheel support and bearing assemblies.

I'm also playing around with different flywheel designs. 

Chuck

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 03:18:26 AM »
Comming to gether real well chuck  :thumbup: like the flywheel  :thumbup:

I'm trying to come up with an engine that will look good with nice proportions and not look like a bunch of parts just bolted together.  Consequently, it has been kind of tough.

That's a tactic that will pay off in the long run,  Chuck:- try cruising around the steam museum sites for inspiration some of those old engine had beautiful architectural detailing.

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »
Thanks, Stew.

Got some more done today.  I Finished making and mounting the flywheel support assembly.  Here's a few pictures of everything assembled.

I feel like I'm in the home stretch now.  Gotta finish the crank arms, connecting rod, and the external plumbing. 

Chuck

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 05:23:20 AM »
I've been working on design issues.  I'm trying to come up with an engine that will look good with nice proportions and not look like a bunch of parts just bolted together.  Consequently, it has been kind of tough.

Hi Chuck ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think the engine looks very  well balanced   in its overall look , the flywheel with its slender spokes really dose it  :med: and is far from "a bunch of parts just bolted together"   .  i think it will look even better when you add the  milled angle iron around the base  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 06:51:19 AM »
I've been working on design issues.  I'm trying to come up with an engine that will look good with nice proportions and not look like a bunch of parts just bolted together.  Consequently, it has been kind of tough.

Hi Chuck ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think the engine looks very  well balanced   in its overall look , the flywheel with its slender spokes really dose it  :med: and is far from "a bunch of parts just bolted together"   .  i think it will look even better when you add the  milled angle iron around the base  :thumbup:

Rob

Yes it does look well proportioned I like it a lot  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stew

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 07:21:29 AM »
Looks great Chuck, love that flywheel  :thumbup:

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad