The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

old lamps to be re-newed!

(1/7) > >>

Divided he ad:
So, I was doing a foreigner for an old guy (for those who don't know that's a job performed by a tallented operative and swapped for expensive paper in your own time.... I think that's worse!!? Well it was fitting UPVC facia's up on his garage  :thumbup: ) 

He asked me if I'd like the old box full of bits in his garage... Well being me... always interested in what's in the box, I said yes  :)

Well there were all manor of washing machine motors and some old 'baccy tins but there were also some quite interesting bits....

There are two of these big relay things like in one of Darrens posts, ans a really rather spectacular huge 4 coil relay thingy in a glass dome

Sorry about the crap piccy's!!

Then what I think might interest some of you.... 2 old railroad lamps.

1 signal lamp (rhs) a bit tatty and missing the green lens but still the real thing.

2 another type of lamp, probably parafin, has the wick and everything! it's a bit old and dirty (no jokes please!) but I'm sure it will scrub up?

Do any of you remember seeing these types of lamps in use or in museums etc? I've no idea what the names of them are etc... All I know is that they came from the Llangollen railroad.

I'm thinking of trying to restore the parafin lamp.... never attempted before, but worth a go I think!

All comments etc welcome :)

Ralph.

Brass_Machine:
Wow! I really like those lamps...

Start a new project thread for restoration on BOTH lamps... :dremel:

Resistance is futile... :borg:

doing a foreigner... sometimes called, 'on the side' or 'under the table' here. Clean your mind!   :wack: :lol: :lol:

Eric

Divided he ad:
My mind is heavily cleansed  :med: I am at one with the collective  :borg:     :lol:

BOTH!!!???  The signal lamp would be a huge challenge... The green lens for a start!

I'll see how I get on with the better one first... I think it will be a challenge, I've never tried anything like this before.... And I can't see colours properly!!!!

They will all be future projects!

Now just to find out if Darren wants some huge transformer relay thingies..... The glass one is however under threat of being converted into a table lamp!  :)

Well this is MAD modder    :mmr:

Ralph.  :wave:

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on January 10, 2009, 01:06:31 PM ---My mind is heavily cleansed  :med: I am at one with the collective  :borg:     :lol:

BOTH!!!???  The signal lamp would be a huge challenge... The green lens for a start!

Now just to find out if Darren wants some huge transformer relay thingies..... The glass one is however under threat of being converted into a table lamp!  :)

Well this is MAD modder    :mmr:

--- End quote ---

Yes, BOTH. You could always use green saran wrap for the lens   :lol: :lol:

That is a neat idea for a table lamp. Told ya, I dig the led (light) art!

Eric

bogstandard:
Ralph,

When I go to the Malpas Rally in September, there are usually a few guys displaying lamps like that, but not all polished up, just cleaned up, and sometimes a bit of a repaint.

Don't let them find out where you live, they will murder you in your sleep for those two. Especially if they came from a dedicated line like Llangollen. Welshmen are known to give up their pet sheep and wellingtons for one of those.

The guys on the stands are hardly ever there, they are busy scrabbling thru all the junk stands trying to find more of the things.

A real nice find.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version