The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

old lamps to be re-newed!

<< < (2/7) > >>

sbwhart:
Hi Ralph

Great Lamps:- but be carfull you don't over restore them these antique things can lose their value if you over do it, do a bit of research first  :smart:

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew

Darren:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on January 10, 2009, 01:06:31 PM ---

Now just to find out if Darren wants some huge transformer relay thingies..... The glass one is however under threat of being converted into a table lamp!  :)

--- End quote ---

Don't you B*&^%&y dare Ralph or I will have to visit you a lot sooner than planned !!!

I spotted two black boxes that look like transformers, any info on them? Near to the glass relay in the picture.

BTW, thw lamps are very interesting, please take care of what you do with them. Quite collectible I should think?

rleete:
Looks like a good project for a small electrocleaning bath.  We electroclean nickel forms (tools to make lenses) at work.  All you need is a tub to submerse the part in, a source of DC current (we use expensive rectifiers, but you can substitute a car battery charger) connected to an anode, and the cleaning solution.  I can find out exactly what we use, but it's really just a commercially available cleaner.

Parts come out unbeliveably shiny and clean in just a short time.

Rog02:

--- Quote from: sbwhart on January 10, 2009, 03:47:54 PM ---Hi Ralph

Great Lamps:- but be carfull you don't over restore them these antique things can lose their value if you over do it, do a bit of research first  :smart:

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew

--- End quote ---

Stew is quite correct in his statement!  I make that style of lamp on the rare occasion and the interior decorators that commission them often ask me to distress them (copy that as beat the hell out of them to make them look old).  My favorite purveyor of antiquities (she sells more of my stuff than the others) tells me that un-restored is in. 

Just brush the loose dust off and leave them be!  Don't even clean the soot off the glass.

Divided he ad:
mmm.... I see so if I'm correct... I'm not to go at em with a wire wheel on an die grinder then ehh?  :dremel:
I'm not that dim!! (John... stay silent!  :lol: )

Darren,
 you want more detail on the black boxes there are schematics on the sides... I will get info tomorrow.  and I'm not allowed to make a table lamp? why?   :(

John,

the old guy told me that his brother was given them by a guy who worked Llangollen rail line, he knew how they both worked etc... Was there for best part of an hour chatting about all sorts... He has boxes of old tooling for lathes etc but stopped machining over 15 years ago. he is going to give me a call when he knows what he is willing to let go.... I told him as long as he doesn't scrap anything... Like he was going to with all these!!!!!!!!!

Stew,

I will reserch the details first... Just got to know where to start.... I was thinking of cleaning for starters and then the parafin one looks ready to run... Very little damage  :thumbup:

Eric,

I may have a contact who works in the stained glass industry... I may have to try calling in a favour? I haven't seen him for about 8 years... I wil see?

Roger,
From the sound of the post just after yours I'm not allowed!!

Rog, I hear you loud and clear... I'm going to have to do my homework then ehh!!??

Got a new topic to write up now... I'll see where I get to on these during next week. Thank you all for your comments, they have not fallen on deaf ears.

Ralph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version