Author Topic: Looking for free drawing program  (Read 12987 times)

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Looking for free drawing program
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
I have searching for a simple and free drawing program where a can draw a plan and printed dimensions and be able to print it so that it becomes a working drawing in the right scale.
Today I am trying to do something with eMachineShop, it's a very nice program but I can't printed dimensions and I can't scale it up for printing.
 :dremel:

Offline kvom

Re: Looking for free drawing program
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
I can recommend DraftSight

Offline BarryG41

• Moana South Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
I have found Solid Edge 2D easy to use. I have never done any CAD before and tried about 6 different programs and  for me, having done nothing but  T square and set squares  nearly 60 years ago Solid edge was the best.  Must admit I did find the tutorials a  but confusing so gave up on them and did my small amount by drawing lines and circles  as required

Barry G
Unskilled operator having fun

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
I'm surprised to see myself writing this, but free software isn't always better.  I've used many, many software programs to generate vector-based drawings.  AutoCAD, CorelDRAW, Sketchup, Draftsight, SmartDraw, Illustrator, and probably a dozen or so that I've forgotten.

I realize that most hobbyists don't have access to the high end 3D cad packages that are used in industry these days, but most of the time they are much quicker to use to generate drawings that consist of more than a few lines and arcs.  The best thing is that a well designed parametric model (like those made in SolidWorks, Inventor, and the like) can be changed and everything else adjusts accordingly.

Say, for example, you have an engine that you've drawn in 2D CAD.  The piston is there with the connecting rod inside a cylinder.  Now you want to increase the diameter of the piston by 0.010", and the length by 0.125" ..... oh boy, look at all the things that need to be erased, moved, little lines drawn in there to join everything back together, lines trimmed, extended ..... wow, why didn't I just draw the damn thing on paper???  I guarantee after you become capable using a 3d parametric modeling package you'll agree with me.

Bear with me for just a second before you start cursing "YES, I KNOW BUT I CAN'T GET OR USE THAT SOFTWARE" and read on.  I'm willing to donate a bit of my time and skill to those who would like drawings and/or models made of various things for NON-PROFIT PERSONAL USE.  I can work from sketches, good written descriptions, sometimes pictures and I can even guess missing dimensions in some cases.  The more information I have to work with though, the better the result.

Of course, it would be on a first-come, first-serve basis and my time is limited so you'd need to be patient.  Depending on how it goes, I'll have to decide later for how long this offer stands.  All I ask in return is that I am given credit where credit is due.  For commercial use, we'd have to discuss terms.  I've never used the PM system here, so it would be better to email my username here @gmail.com if interested.

Samples attached

-Sparky (Brian)

PatJ

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:09 AM »
I have used Autocad for many years, and I like it alot for 2D work, but even the light version now has a heavy price tag.  I tried Draftsight recently (a free 2D program) and found it very similar to AutoCad, except that Draftsight is free.

If I had to use a 2D program every day for work purposes, then I would say that a self-customized version of Autocad would easily pay for itself in productivity gains.  For hobby work, Draftsight is more than capable, the the price of Draftsight is hard to beat for sure.

I got into 3D heavily this year, and found it extremely difficult to make the transition from 2D to 3D.
Having struggled through it though, I would never go back to 2D unless I needed some quick rudimentary geometric sketches, which are much easier in 2D.

3D is not for the feint of heart, it takes some serious rewiring of brain connections.
If you can rewire your brain, then 3D can take you places you never dreamed you could go, like the flywheel below.

2D drafting work is like drawing lines on a piece of paper.

3D modeling is almost exactly like machining, and is not much like drawing at all.

Edit:  I better add some blinky things so I willl feel like a real madmodder.    : )
 :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :ddb: :ddb:

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:41:08 AM »
I've used SketchUp from Google for a while and I'm impressed !

It's not at all for mashines only but fora free program I think it's fantastic !

Just Google for SketchUp and download it.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:22:14 AM »
The thing that won me over with Sketchup was how easy it is to get into as somebody with very limited cad experience. It does have some problems and limitations but its probably worth trying out since the learning curve is so gentle. Comes with a nice set of patronizing tutorial videos too.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:36:13 AM »
Hi and thanks for answering me. I have tryed DraftSight but I don't get what I want. It's inportent to me to be able to printed dimensions and I have found none that I can do that in a proper way.  :doh:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:02:09 AM »
Most programs, Draftsight included can print out in many different ways.

You need to study it a bit, no one program is going to do what you want straight out the box.

Post an example of what you would like and someone will tell you if it can or can't and how to do it.
John Stevenson

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:44:54 AM »
Agreed, getting all the options and settings sorted to get things 'just how you want' can be a fairly significant task.  It's also important to understand where to make these changes - for the package I use, it's best to do the customisation in the 2D templates - though a few things are 'system' settings.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »
Of cource I have read the manual and looking at video (thats why I ask you).
I have done this little test with eMachineShop.
The first pic is 3D, the next topp and then side. This program should be radar good if I only could have all object in one picture.  :scratch:

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
eMachineShop is designed so that they can quote for manufcaturing your parts - they don't want to make it easy for you to ask anyone else to quote !  Hence why they don't offer the option of printing dimensioned 2D prints.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
If want a look and feel but easy to use cad program give QCAD a go. I use mainly on Linux but there is a free version for Windows that somebody has kindly compiled into an install. This can be found here http://www.himili.com/blog/downloads/qcad-for-windows-gpl-version/
I use that version to and works great for me for 2.5d stuff. I use this for my cnc drawings and the support is great to.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »
Swarfing
Thank you, I have just done a fast test and it seams as I got everything that I asking for.
Many thanks.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline wildman692

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »
I believe turbocad is freeware. Autosketch is a brill program I have a very early versi9on that was given away on a magazine cover. However you could possibly try this one
http://www.formspring.me/xiewdvmo30

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 05:09:58 AM »
IF you use SketchUp from Google I have some free components you can download here:

http://kelds.weebly.com/nye-komponenter.html

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

tumutbound

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 06:03:37 AM »
Sektchup has been sold by Google to Trimble Communications (the GPS people)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/google-sells-sketchup-to-trimble-navigation/

Hopefully the free version will still be available.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:28:11 PM by tumutbound »

Offline clivel

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
If want a look and feel but easy to use cad program give QCAD a go. I use mainly on Linux but there is a free version for Windows that somebody has kindly compiled into an install. This can be found here http://www.himili.com/blog/downloads/qcad-for-windows-gpl-version/
I use that version to and works great for me for 2.5d stuff. I use this for my cnc drawings and the support is great to.

LibreCad  is a fork of the open source version of QCAD. Unlike QCAD, LibreCad has the advantage of being maintained and enhanced.

The Windows, Linux and Mac OSX versions can be downloaded here  http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 06:37:34 AM »
Qcad has always satisfied my needs so not really looked beyond this for 2d work. looking at librecad though it could probably be a better bet so i will have a look at it. The problem for me is that it is only available for a later version (11.0) of ubuntu so will need to upgrade that first as i am on lucid. It is almost identical so what i am use to is there also. Thanks for bringing that to the table friend.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline boatmadman

• Located in Barrow in Furness, South Cumbria
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »
I found this a few weeks ago which I am now learning:

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

I have printed off engineering diagrams with dimensions - it works for me.

Ian
If it works, take it apart and find out why!

Offline z3t4

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
I agree, Ian!
I'm looking at Draftsight also. Bon voyage! :beer:

Offline TroyO

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
Another option is just a vector graphics program. I was using Inkscape to create stuff for a laser cutter/engraver when I was looking for something free.

I find myself using it often to just knock up a quick 2D drawing. It doesn't "CAD" anything... you just draw it.  If you just take say the box shape and enter the X and Y dimensions you can size it exactly. For dimension lines and text you have to do those manually.

As to scale at least on the laser paper printer and the cutter/engraver I was using everything scaled perfectly.... IE a 1" square was 1" x 1" near as I could measure (Well, the kerf on the laser was ~.010 so technically a 1" square would have been .990 but that wasn't the apps fault.)

Anyway...  http://inkscape.org/