Author Topic: Leftover iPod?? No Problem  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
Leftover iPod?? No Problem
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
When my wife got her iPhone, she didn't know what to do with her old iPod Nano.  My son had gotten a portable radio with a memory card for his birthday, so we thought it would be fair if we gave it to my daughter with some speakers for Christmas.  Sounded like a simple plan…

Is it a good idea to give a four-year-old something as small and fragile as an iPod?  :scratch:  We didn't think so.  I came up with the simple idea of mounting it to a piece of plastic, like one of those white cutting boards.  It was for a kid's room and that would be easy to work with, tough, and would fit with the toys and such. 

I went to a supplier of plastic in Berlin.  My brother-in-law said I could buy small pieces and they would cut it to size.  Turned out they did metal and their place in Dresden did the plastic.  If I was ordering over 100€, it could be cut down there and would come up on their regular truck.  I was thinking 5€.  The women at the counter mentioned they had scrap boxes for the metal and I could rummage through those if I wanted. 

There was a box for brass.  My mind started going.  Brass… brass and dark wood… very Victorian… not bad, but how do I pitch it to a kid?  Steampunk!!  I've never read any of it outside of Jules Verne and I've never seen a show or movie about it outside of "Wild, Wild West".  However, it was in and cool and the girl would like the idea of something SF.

This is what I ended up with:

iPod stereo set
(Clicking on the picture wil take you to the set with some build pictures.)

My OCD strikes again, and I'm not finished with it.  It has been up for two years, but the faceplate annoys me.  It needs frames around the two holes.  I think that will be done for this Christmas.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: Leftover iPod?? No Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:46 AM »
That looks pretty good, Russell.

iPods, iPads, iPhones......
A pal of mine thought his wife might like some of this new hi-tech stuff for her birthday, but says she didn't seem too pleased with her iRon.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »
A pal of mine thought his wife might like some of this new hi-tech stuff for her birthday, but says she didn't seem too pleased with her iRon.

Andy -- Obviously he didn't get the iRon with the robotic operational attachment...

Russell -- There are a whole raft of extended-Victorian tech geeks running around Microsoft and they would love that "package"...

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
Nice  :thumbup:

Offline Russell Nash

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »
Russell -- There are a whole raft of extended-Victorian tech geeks running around Microsoft and they would love that "package"...

I'll make new ones to order and to anyone's specifications. 
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »
Impressive Russell ,,, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:16 AM »
Russell,

As I saw the picture I was thinking SteamPunk. Then as I scrolled down I saw in you calling it SteamPunk. Neat. There's a whole fourm on SteamPunk called Brass Goggles.

Forgot to mention, looks real nice. Excellent work.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Russell Nash

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »
Bernd,

I checked out that forum.  It was a little too intense for my level of interest.  Also they mostly work with brass painted plastic and not metal.  I prefer to be with the engineers and machinists.  Brass Goggles was more like the artists and poets.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »
Brass Goggles was more like the artists and poets.

Russell,

You just cleared up a feeling I had about that place too. Now I know what it was. Your right. Although there are some projects on there that I read through that used more metal than plastics.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
The real problem with Brass Goggles is the age demographics 11 to late 20's. For us older farts that are on the other side of the starting out in the world of work etc. I got tired of the messages and emails from youngins asking for me to give them things or make things for them for free or other considerations. After all how many photo's of a young women in a corset does one need?  :lol: there were a couple of really get mad maddors on it and working with a Dremel router table as a milling machine, hand tools and  drill press. I no longer post but do go back now and a again.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen