Author Topic: hed lock for a compact 8  (Read 5475 times)

Offline krv3000

hed lock for a compact 8
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »
HI all right I needed to mack a locking divice for the hed stock of my lathe as Im not in faver of drilling in to the lathe to ading things I came up with this I made up a braket that bolts on to the braket provided for the leed scrwe drive I made the locking pin out of 9mm stanles steel then turnd dawn the back to fit the spring over drilld and reemd the tube 9mm hafe way thruw then drilld and reemd the rest 5mm drilld and taped the locking pin  m5  I silver solderd the tube on to the bracet made the locking pin handel out of tufnol I hope the pics will help   

Offline krv3000

Re: hed lock for a compact 8
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
right I all so had to mack sum nuts I only had one as a template  so had a rut in me scrap box and fawnd a pece of steel with the ade of the for jaw chuck I turnd it to 14mm sqher to mack the nuts out of i made a  split colet to hold it while i turnd them up see pics I  all so neded to mack sum locking rings to hold the change gears agane I only had one to copy from so I got sum stanles steel turnd it dawn to 20mm od steped the back 0.5mm by 16mm od drilld and reemd m8 then parted off at 1.6mm thick with the same stock drilld and reemd m10 then parted off 1.4 mm  cut then filde the m8 too a u shape and the 10mm to a sqher shape gnaw for a top tip get a kleen file and a cleen pece of paper and file the end of your silver solder rod gather up the filings and put in a mixing pot you dont need a lot ad a litel of the silver solder flux do not ad water at this pont  micks the tow together you dont need a lot of flux once mickst together ad the water just enuf to mack a nice past I then put the paste one of the rings and placed the other one on top then sweted the two together right pics

Offline vikebo

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »
Hi

Nice parts! Silver soldering is fun, but I should do it more often to learn it better. I think I have only tried on stainless once, and it was hard to get the flux and solder to wet the parts properly.

I like the pictures of the parts for the gears. I have a WM280, and the solution on your Emco seems like it could be better when swapping gears. Maybe I should adapt or make something similar. I have to kind of hold all the parts in the correct position while tightening on my lathe. Would be nice if the axle could stay in place, but still slide up and down, while assembling.

Eivind

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »
 yep me to not seen that tipe of fiting befor  thanks for the reply   

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
pics