Author Topic: Edge finder  (Read 3558 times)

Offline steam oil

Edge finder
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
Hi

I have a starrett double end edge finder, I use the parallel end on the mill with no problem but how or for what is the pointed end used for?

Brian

Offline Anzaniste

Re: Edge finder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
I use the pointy end for picking up a centre pop. Lower the point gently into the pop mark and let the weight of the spindle hold it in place. Then adjust the X and the Y feeds until there is no displacement on the main shank of the centre finder.. It's remarkable how can feel a very small displacement with your finger nail. You could use it to palce a small hole under the centre of the spindle in a similar manner.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline picclock

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »
Hi Brian

It seems quite easy to feel displacements of even 1 thou with the pointed end. I located the point on mine in a centre drill mark, and by rotating the ER32 collet could feel the runout change position with the spindle, so its fairly accurate.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:18:49 AM »
Picclock, sounds like you got your ER32 chuck from the same place as me!!!!!   :doh:
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline steam oil

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:47:47 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the replies, obvious now a case of brain cells getting older. :doh:

Brian