Author Topic: E readers  (Read 6587 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
E readers
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
Ok does anybody have dedicated e readers, Not the tablets, I pads or the app's for phones or PC's I have the phone and PC app's

I would like to hear from members with the nook, kindle etc. Lower dollar types I and a lot of people have no use for I pads or tablets, or notebooks. I would have one of those if I had a use for one.

I would like to get a reader, to use as I sit in doctors waiting rooms since I take both my parents to their appointments. Some times 4 days a week.

Since I see no need of paying big bucks for data transmission for occasional use, I have limited internet on my (dumb) phone. It would be a smart phone if it wouldn't dial the wrong numbers as I look though the phone book. Why the programers didn't think of a double tap to place call  :scratch:

I am looking for a reader that can use a lot of formats and shut off the wifi if there is none available or till I need it.

Anybody have the Kindle or the Nook or any of the other pile of readers?
The nook appears to have the most formats, including the e lending feature.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Joules

Re: E readers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
I bought my other half a Sony book reader, she bought me a Kindle sometime later, I hate to admit I far prefer the Kindle to the Sony.

Joules
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
My Boss had a kindle.

Until I borrowed it when we were on holiday:- now she can't get it off me, I find its great easy to use and lots of books to download.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
I have a kindle, really love it. One of the great features is that you can sync the kindle with the kindle app's on your pc/smartphone (works when in range of your wifi router ), very handy for when you have been reading any technical manuals that have colour diagrams on the monochrome kindle, just open up the kindle app on the PC, select the same technical manual and it will show up on the page you were last reading it, but this time in full colour and bigger screen.

Plus, the battery lasts for absolutely ages.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
My mum purchased a Kindle and within a week my dad had one as well, so they must be pretty good.

Chris

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
I have a Kindle. I use it primarily for pleasure reading (3 hours worth of commuting a day) and not tech books. I am very pleased with it. I have probably read over 100 books on it. Battery lasts forever.

I would recommend it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
I use a Sony eReader for reading books and an iPad for technical docs.

Basically, if you want to flip quickly through stuff (PDF's etc), zoom in and out to look at detail then the iPad (or it's ilk) is king.

If you want to read books - or slowly work your way through technical docs then the kindle or equivalent is what you need. Much easier on the eyes.

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
My wife is an avid reader. Used to be she'd say how a Kindle could never duplicate the reading experience you get from books. I bought one a few weeks ago for myself. The next day we were back at Best Buy getting one for her. What I like is that you can download for free the first two chapters of any book and decide if you like it before buying. Turns out I'm pretty satisfied with reading only the first two chapter of most books. You know, attention deficit disorder an' all.  :beer:
-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
Ok since it seems that  this group is kindled.

Since I don't read best sellers or popular fiction of any kind. Can you download from other sources and formats if you have the app for the pc say? Google books or any of the four sites I posted in the book shelf, and does the pdf format and any other work as good on the kindle. And how does it handle color pictures?

Or should I say has anybody on here downloaded and of the kindle formats from any of the sites?

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
Yea you can download to the kindle from your pc. It is compatible with PDF and word and some other formats too, one program to get is "Calibre", it is great for getting free e-newspapers and other formats converted to read on the Kindle or other E-reader.

Colour pictures are rendered in B&W, and to be very honest, pictures are not the Kindle's best asset.

Another handy thing about the Kindle, when you register it with amazon you get a free email address so that you can just email docs or epubs direct to the kindle, you can even ask amazon to convert the emailed document to the kindle format ( I havent had the greatest success in the conversions yet )

Then once your kindle is in range of your wifi router it will receive the emailed documents without need to find the USB cable.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »
Well that helps a bunch  :headbang: haven't read the whole site but the highlights sure sound good. It woukld cover just about all the ones that those site output too. At least enough of the ones I remember. :thumbup:  :clap:

Thanks

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
Ok guys I have another question does anybody, have the special offer Kindles with the advertising on them? And how big of a pain are they?  :clap:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline gmac

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
One note of caution - a lot of reviews I've read have said that the Kindle is not good at displaying pdf's, at least not their graphics and photo's . Some have suggested that a person is better off with the 10" screen Kindle in terms of readability if pdf's are important to you. My use for an e-reader was to read pdf's of old technical books so I decided against the Kindle. The large Kindle (10") was too expensive, the tablets start making more sense in that price range. I ended up buying a 10" netbook for the same price as the Kindle and ended up with a more versatile piece of equipment; admittedly heavier! You may want to look at the newest Kobo. It's gone to a touch screen which I found much more functional than the kindle's buttons. Of note, it also allows you to zoom the screen so pdf reading may be easier. The kindle only allowed one or two zoom steps and didn't allow you to view the screen in landscape. Well worth a roadtest before you buy. It has me thinking I want one of those too!

Cheers  Garry

Offline gmac

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
Oppps; men't to add this

http://kobobooks.com/touch

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:03 PM »
Well went and joined the ranks of the kindles, and spent a couple of hours trying to digest the user guide. Haven't got it registered yet, just got back but so far with little that I have played with it. I think that better then ¾'s of the crap on it and that it does I will never use, :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm almost 62 years old and have yet to write a note in the margin of a book  :scratch:  Like I said in the other thread if I don't like it will give it to the wifey and get a nook  :clap: :clap:

Thanks for all the info, :ddb: :nrocks: :mmr: :nrocks: :ddb:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
Calibre software is pretty slick, as Amazon doesn't appear or I haven't found the free book etc downloads yet. I used the downloads of the old welding, smithing and die making books from the site I posted in another thread. It works a treat, with out to much clicking and looking. Didn't even read the welcome info before I started using it. That is what soft ware should be.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen