Author Topic: Decent coolant hose in the UK  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Rikk

Decent coolant hose in the UK
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:50:09 AM »
I'm putting flood coolant on my CNC mill purely for lubrication and chip removal, so more like trickle coolant but you know what I mean ;)
I bought this from RDG :-

The res and pump are great but the rest is just awful, coolant comes out of every joint on the hose, both ends of the brass tap and from point the flow handle goes into the tap, so pretty much ends up everywhere. I don't have the luxury of a large catch tray so need the coolant to go where I point it.

All the flexible coolant hoses I've found are the dirt cheap chinese ones which are the same as I already have so I'm looking for some decent coolant hose and fittings if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

............Rikk
Location - Romford, Essex

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Decent coolant hose in the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:27:47 AM »
Hi
I used a washing machine feed pipe
Works great
John

Offline Rikk

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
Had a look in B&Q while I was out but it was all quite thick and you couldn't shape it to go where I want it to go without it springing back.

Offline mike os

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
try ptfe tape and the right size jubilee clips......
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
If its the blue poseable hose and taps you want then have a look at J&L they do the Loc-Line brand.

Page 1286 & 7 of their virtual catalogue
http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/cgi/insrhm

Jubilee clips on teh clear hose and that should be OK

J

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
Looks like he has the Locline, i have three with the taps which dont leak same with the clip on and off multiple joints after 11 years.

Offline Rikk

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
Cheers, I'll have a look at those loc-line ones, they look exactly the same as the chinese ones but going by the price I hope they are a LOT better 8)

Offline Davo J

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
I wrote this reply the other night but the site went down when I went to post it. :doh:

I have read that you us boiling water to dismantle and put these hoses together to soften them. It might be worth trying to soak it in a saucepan of boiling water and the links might form around the balls better to make them seal, it would be worth a try and cost nothing.

I have one that came with my coolant tank and it doesn't leak at all, but it is a different set up as it came with a steel tank and fuel type hose to connect it from the tank.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
The problem with a lot of the cheap posable hoses is they are rough injection mouldings and the parting line goes through the joint and thats what makes them leak.

J

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
Just got the latest J&L flyer through the post today, upto 50% off locline, page 43

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/CGI/INPDFF?PMCTLG=14

J

Offline Jonny

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »
Very expensive even when on supposed offer, i expect my cats coming tomorrow.
I ony ever buy them FC3 disposables from there for drilling.

Discount only applies to the kit £7.04 without the extra cost of the valve £16.13 :scratch:

Any way of telling the knock off copies from the real thing? Colour darker?
Will have a look.

The Fordeight on the bay i have had, they dont leak but may be copies, will check. Certainly are interchangeable with Loc Line.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
Just had a look i have three genuine Loc Lines and a knock off chinese unopened from Fordeight in Hockley.

Genuine Loc Line will the name raised on every blue joint and on the orange lever tap. One came from J&L about 11 years ago and one from Fordeight on the bay some years ago, no idea where the other came from.
The chinese visually have a flat where the blue interlock together and possible to tell in a piccy.

Chinese knock off interchanges with Loc Line ie can use the blue together with the real thing, no leaks.

Hope this helps.

Offline Rikk

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Thanks again for the pointers guys, rotagrip have all the loc-line stuff, but I also found maxiflex which seems to come with a set that has everything I want including a mag mount and valve, just need to phone them to see about prices before I decide which way to jump.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
Fordeight is Rotagrip in Hockley!
Last one bought is not a Loc Line approx 4 months ago.