Author Topic: C3 bearing change  (Read 2884 times)

Offline jim

C3 bearing change
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »
i've got a Sieg C3, sat in the corner of the shed (i bought it to do a simple production job a few years ago), i hardly ever use it, its bigger brother, C4, is the main machine.

i had a bit of spare time, so did the taper race bearing job, using this as a guide http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/C3%20Mini-Lathe%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf

i've just put it all back together, what a difference!

i just cleaned everything up and was dreading having to shim the head to get it all true again, first cut over 3" and no taper what so ever!!!

i just bought the bearings off ebay for about £9, well worth the effort!!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Jonny

Re: C3 bearing change
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
Knew mine were not the best, but the last three jobs done on it really showed something was up.
Wished mine was as simple as yours ZX45 i had to take the gearbox out, dro, coolant, motor, fine feed, control panel, name it off and more, right pain. 3 1/2 hrs later spindle out. Dreaded putting it back together, bearings  have to be pressed to certain depths or locks up or cogs dont align.
Wanted Timken but had to settle for SKF, downtime more important plus about 4ltrs of oil, all in around £52.
Did also notice some play in the quill to casting, not a problem with the lock on or partially tensioned but may put in some M6 sprung loaded ball bearin grub screws.