Author Topic: Ball turning attachment  (Read 16902 times)

Offline mechman48

Ball turning attachment
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
 :wave:
Made this attachment long time ago; looking at it now & comparing it to the latest designs this is designed way OTT! This was made to suit the height of my Clark combo so it is a fairly high piece.The cutting tool has gone walkabout but it sat in the round hole upper left & the diameter of the ball could be altered via the 'micro adjuster' arrangement on the baseplate.
One of my 'new projects ' will be to make the simpler design as seen on modders posts, but as I am looking to update my lathe & have a milling machine separately (as part of the outside shed project & am looking at Chester 'comet' & 20V anyone have these,what is their opinion?) it will be put on hold.
Have att more pics for your cogitation
Cheers for now  :nrocks:

Another shot with a couple of examples made with it inc' the handle

Fixed steady fitted with drip feed, yep! it is an old 35 mm film canister,waste not want not I say  :headbang:

My 6 mm plate glass surface plate & reclaimed dial vernier as height gauge (now replaced with Digital version 'Happy Xmas to me!  :thumbup:) the glass will be replaced with marble /granite plate..when I get my a**se into gear.

Happy modding  :nrocks:

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Ball turning attachment
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
I use one of these.

It's the ball turner for the minilathe in a universal holder I got from ARC.
dead easy to setup, very quick and I can swap it about between machines.
I have a similar one to what George showed that came with the CVA but it takes ages to setup after removing the top slide etc, then i can't remember how to use it  :doh:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Deko

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
Hi Mechman
                 I bought a Chester Champion20V and a DB10VS lathe in September last year.  I bought both together, with stands, for under 2k, but that was before the V.A.T. rise.   I had a problem with the PCB on the lathe,but a quick ring to Chester had me a new one ( PCB ) in the post same day.  Since then no problems and lathe is fine.  No problems at all with the mill, but the stand is a bit rubbish so i sold that and made my own. If you want any more info send me a PM.

Cheers  Derek

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »
Hi Mechman
I've got a Comet, I got it and a Conquest mill from Chester.
I find the lathe to be quite reasonable for the price. I was dead lucky, I got mine when they were as cheap as they have ever been.

If you read some of my posts you can see what Ive made on mine.
the mill isn't bad either, I've broken the plastic (sacrificial) gear twice but that was me being a clumsy git.

Roy
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline 7thmarine

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
It may be old, but I'll bet it still works very nicely...I also like the other gauges...... :clap: